Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

Re: Unsure of where to go or what to do

Hey @beyondlost478 ,

I've just read your post. 

Thank you for the update. I'm so glad that you have been able to reflect on what has been happening and start looking after yourself. 

Culture can play a big part in how people manage. For some, it is an expectation for younger ones to support and look after their older family members.

Please do what's right for you. It's really good you could speak to family about it.

Which Australian state/territory are you located? There might be some specific supports for yo in your area.

Hello @Wednesday 

Thank you for your reply to my post. Greatly appreciate your advice and time.

One of the reasons I am struggling is with communicating with him. As this is the first time in years that I have come back into his life, I never was one to express my thoughts and emotions because I have the fear of rejection - but as they say - one will never know if you keep quiet.. I was closer to my mum and other siblings and I would see Dad during family functions with his side of the family. So with me taking on this role, I automatically thought I would just be his child, I would have to do everything for him - which I found out is not healthy for both of us. This has led me to isolate myself in his place not set boundaries and think that If I go to a family's house for a visit, I would be abandoning my position as a carer for him.

So that is one part of the reason why I am currently struggling and yes I will find a counselor that I can speak to about the caring role because I think I mentioned to the other person who left a note on here - I have my time with my counselor to talk about grief and my fears of health anxiety for leaving it aside (as I too have a few medical conditions), I find the majority of the time, the conversations leads to my caring role than what I want to unpack. Also, I think what was mentioned too.

I guess what I was wanting to get at is I do not want my past with years of trauma with broken relationships to affect my present of wanting to care for my father now and hope that i have a clear mind going forward and yes I believe that if i speak to a carer counselor that would clear my mind on what my obligations are as a carer so that I can get myself better to be the child.

I have come across a website called Carer Gateway I think, I will get in contact with them soon because I do not want to dwell on the past and be in a better mind state to care for myself and care for him.

Hope this reply kind of makes sense to you and thank you for offering to share your experiences in hopes that I would be able to implement them into my current role.

Many Thanks

Beyondlost748

Please know we are here for you @beyondlost478 

Hope you have been better and showing yourself some self-compassion by setting some boundaries.

We are happy to bounce ideas if you need it.

Hey there @beyondlost478 ,

How are you going? I was wondering how you've been since we last spoke.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000