Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Welcome & getting started

aneudaimonia
Casual Contributor

Have you or someone you know tried ECT? Did it help?

My therapist has strongly suggested ECT for a while now. I know it's not as bad as previous stigma but still a scary proposition. It feels like a last resort. 

I'd love to hear people's experiences good and bad. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Have you or someone you know tried ECT? Did it help?

Welcome @aneudaimonia ,

You've come to the right place. There are many members here who have had ECT. I hope you find their experiences insightful.

Thank you, just realised the search feature was right there!

Hi @aneudaimonia  i recently had 14 sessions of ECT, was suppose to be 15 but the last one got cancelled. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to have it done in a private mental health facility as a publicly funded patient and it was a much nicer experience. I had it done about 18 yrs ago in the public system and it’s done differently now. 
My recent treatment has helped my depression and mood a lot overall. And I don’t think I’ve had any memory issues this time. It does only help with depression though. I have a number of other mental health issues that significantly impact me on a daily basis. 
good luck 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000