Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

utopia
Senior Contributor

Trauma a main reason behind MI

Found this fascinating article.
It's great to see a focus away from genetics and more to recognising trauma as a leading cause of Mental Illness.
Please have a read and let me know what you think.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/26/mental-illness-misery-childhood-traumas

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Trauma a main reason behind MI

It pretty much been my position in all my posts. @utopia

Narrow Biomedical approach is unwise.

BioPsychoSocial approaches have best outcome and treat person with most dignity .. IMHO.  of maybe not so humble .. 

@Appleblossom. When I received a new diagnosis recently and he stated it was genetic - I was so angry. As we have no history of bipolar in the family. But I was raised in a family with a very toxic father.
And since coming to this forum, it appears to me that most MI has a trauma base to it.
This article made me feel so much better.
Now we just need the Medical Sector and the Government to get their acts together.

I think my family would on the one hand feel that my condition could at least be managed if it had a biological basis, but they would probably be worried that they themselves would/could catch the symptoms.

Been on heaps of medication to the point where I felt like zombie. Am able to think clearly about things now, even if coping mechanisms are not always adequate.

Trauma has to be seen as a link at least to MI. I can't see it just popping up because of a block in our biological make up. Surely, everything affects out mental health!

I think those of us living with MI are well aware of the role that trauma, disadvantage & lack of adequate health services plays on the likelihood of developing MI.
We just need more mental health professionals, the government and the general public to also acknowledge these links.
Former-Member
Not applicable

"The BBC focused on an extreme biological approach to psychiatry, which is contested by many psychologists and psychiatrists. This approach sees psychiatric problems as discrete brain conditions that are largely genetically determined and barely influenced by the slings and arrows of misfortune."

Great article @utopia.  It is scary how many of those in charge of mental health and indeed our misinformed media,  can be working from a false premises.

From experience I can categorically state that my MI was not genetic.  Even the so called 'experts' are forced to dismiss their preconceived ideas about age related onset of symptoms where I am concerned. I have a distinct before and after in my lifeline. Then one event became my sliding door moment.

I had experienced many so called "traumatic" events prior. Some surpassing most people's encounters. Yet none had affected me beyond a natural progression of life, I just embraced them as life's learning. So I was not genetically predisposed to MI, or one of those would have triggered at least some perceptible symptoms.

I do not dismiss that genetic influence could contribute in some individiuals, but to suggest all or even most MI is genetically born is folly at best and somewhat irresponsible.  In my experience, at least, it certainly would not aid in understanding the complexities of the trauma involved.

I do think though, that the trauma does cause neurological changes.  But to chalk those changes up to genetic rather than the result of the trauma itself, further narrows investigation.

it's a chicken and egg conundrum.  Were the neurological changes a result of the incidental trauma, or was the brain already predisposed to it genetically.

I believe in my case, because I knew my mind so well prior to the event, I know with certainty the neurological changes were externally precipitated.

@Former-Member. So glad you found this thread.
Even those with a family history of MI - will not necessarily go and 'develop' a MI themselves.
We know through decades of research that there are many ways to prevent - or at least reduce the risk.
Good health care
Good education
Strong community ties
Healthy family finances
Loving families
Resilience - through mindfulness and meditation
and so many other things.
So even if there is a 'weak link' in a persons genes - we do know there are ways to reduce their risk.
Lets hope that our Government recognises this soon and puts proper funding into these areas.

Absolutely @utopia, no doubt it works both ways.

Your list is full of goodies we could all benefit from, not only those at risk.

It is blindingly obvious to me that the vast majority of "mental illness" is due to trauma...and there is now a lot of evidence coming from the field of neuroscience to support this view. That's why I actually never self-identify as having a mental illness - I say I have "some mental health issues." I detest the medical model and I truly believe that in as little as twenty years from now, they will look back on how MI is treated today and laugh at the absurdity of it. I think they need to throw out psychiatry altogether and give the neuroscientists a go at helping people heal their trauma-damaged brain. Things are slooooowly changing as evidenced by the way things such as EMDR and neurofeedback are becoming more mainstream. However, I fear psychiatry is still obsessed with drugs, and psychology is still obsessed with CBT, so there is still a way to go yet! Thanks for starting this thread - I feel better for having got that off my chest. Smiley Happy

I wonder if the idea MI is genetic partly exonerated families and so allowed more of a no-fault approach like no fault divorce..  

Prior to that the mother was seen as aloof and negligent and usually blamed.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000