Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Ffm48
Senior Contributor

PTSD and dementia

I wonder, if anyone knows of any studies correlating a return into PTSD, anxiety, depression after getting dementia.
About the age I am now (69), my mother had first signs of dementia. Dementia progressed as it does; about a year before she died she no longer recognised me for who I was. At first she thought I was her mother, then she had no recognition, but for most of the time she was reliving the time she spent in concentration camp; she was 19-22 when she was incarcerated.

Due to severe childhood traumata and marital abuse I suffered from PTSD, anxiety, and depression. Well, I'm diagnosed with same; however, due to therapy have it all under control. Of course, there is no certainty, but I guess a high risk, I may contract a form of dementia. Predictably, the fear is whether there will be a relapse into PTSD, anxiety, and depression.

Are there any studies? So far, my research has only brought up PTSD as being a cause of dementia in veterans. There doesn't seem to be anything about relapse after successful treatment.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: PTSD and dementia

@Ffm48. An interesting question. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you. But I would be interested to know of any research.
Having worked in aged care years ago - primarily in Dementia. I can say that reliving aspects of our life - chronologically backwards is very normal with dementia residents. From what I observed - people did 're-live' the pain and all the emotions associated with what they were remembering. As I'm sure you experienced with your mum - it is devastating to watch a loved on go through this pain.
On the otherhand - I noticed that these periods of utter distress were short lived. A few minutes or a few hours.That at least is one blessing of dementia.
By diverting the persons attention onto something else - we could often reduce how long they were in this state of remembrance.
Some parts of our personality can change alot when we have dementia. So it may be possible that - although we may remember an awful time in our life - we may not react to it the same way we once did. I really hope this is the case.
If you do happen to find any research on this topic - could you please tag me into the post.

Thank you for your response @utopia. You may not have had an answer, but you did help me in understanding some parts of reliving which seems to be different to the flashbacks of PTSD. As I understand it, the onset of dementia can be delayed by one's own behaviour and activities. My own trauma ended only a few years ago; hence, I wouldn't have to go very far backwards to land in that awful time. That is a worry, of course.

I shall continue to see if I can find anything on the subject and shall certainly tag you in.

Take care

Thank you @Ffm48
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Ffm48, how ya doing, I'm having memory lapses, just found this other thread, on memory, via the 'search' button, go to > SANE Forums > Something’s not right > Memory & Cognitive Problems.
Cheers Lapses

Hi @Former-Member

how kind of you to think of me. Fortunately, I have no problem with dementia or memory loss, yet. The question was how therapy effects the brain, i.e. whether after successful therapy of PTSD the brain has been sufficiently rewired that the assumption can be made that flashbacks will not occur as dementia progresses. I hope this makes sense.

I'm still researching on the subject, but have found an expert in the field. Am hopeful for a good outcome Woman Happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000