Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Re: Neurofeedback

@Phoenix_Rising wrote:

@CherryBomb Your post made me giggle. You know, neurofeedback is supposed to be able to help improve focus and concentration...just saying Smiley LOL.

Smiley LOL ROFL You make me laugh. 

Hi @CherryBomb @Shaz51 @utopia @Kurra @Faith-and-Hope @Former-Member @Zoe7@Former-Member...and the people I will remember as soon as I hit "post".

So I had my first appointment with the neurofeedback psychologist today. The appointment was really hard because even though you don't have to tell your whole entire trauma history with neurofeedback, they do need SOME information. However, she picked up pretty quickly that things would go awry if she pushed too much. I was able to give her enough information for her to figure out the muddle is...er...muddling. Part-way through, she called in the guy who will actually do the neurofeedback so that I didn't have to re-tell stuff. Then he and I went and had a brief neurofeedback session so that he could get a baseline picture.

The "game" I had to play involved a picture of a big ball on the computer screen. The aim was to keep the ball at that size. Calm brain waves kept it that size, undesirable brainwaves made it shrink. By the time we finished three minutes later, the ball was microscopic on the screen. Smiley Happy

On the bright side, the electrodes on my head did actually measure brain activity so at least I know something is going on in my head Smiley Happy. The guy said that my pattern of brain activity showed a super gigantic spike when the ball started shrinking at a rapid rate. Apparently this matches what I had described as one of my main issues - the fact that I can go from 0 to 100 in terms of distress just by being triggered by a word. I think the idea is to be able to calmly think "oh look, the ball is shrinking" not "AHHHHHHH I'M COMPLETLEY FAILING AT THIS AND THE END OF THE UNIVERSE IS THUS CLEARLY IMMENENT"...or something like that Smiley Happy. The guy is hopeful that we will be able to reduce those super strong responses - yay.

For me, the strangest thing about the day was that I told them how last time I tried neurofeedback I got a series of dreams. Um...yeah...apparently neither the psychologist nor the technician had ever had someone do that before. That freaked me out a little bit because for all these years, I've assumed that that was what was supposed to happen. But no, apparently that was very unusual. For this reason, we are going to take a fairly softly-softly approach. My main goal right now is to deal with the depression and thus improve my concentration. Down the track I am open to dealing with some of the trauma stuff more directly if I feel I need to, but right now, if I can just get my mood up a bit and thus try to start finding a way out of my muddle that would be awesome.

Stay tuned for next week's exciting episode of the neurofeedback adventure. Thank you for taking an interest. It is so nice to have people to share positive news with. Smiley Happy

I'm loving this new series @Phoenix_Rising - can we have repeats or do we need to wait until next week's episode? lol

That really is great news for you. You are sounding really positive about it all and that is so nice to hear.

Zoe  Heart

Awesome @Phoenix_Rising .... ❣

Unexpected in a lot of ways .... but it comes across as progressive and exciting nonetheless ....

So glad to be here and included.  As strange as it sounds, WH's illness has created this whole new world for me through the forums, and I wouldn't have been aware of any of it otherwise ....

So grateful ... with mixed feelings attached of course.

So happy for you .... ❤️💕

Hey @NikNik, I just saw you floating on another thread {giggles at the image of @NikNik floating on a thread...sort of looks like a kite in my brain Smiley Happy}. When you have a moment, would you like to read about my cool neurofeedback adventure on this thread? I am super excited about it. It's a funny thing about BPD, everyone talks about the giant negative emotions, but I actually really struggle with giant positive emotions too...and right now I'm super excited Smiley Happy.

Former-Member
Not applicable

thats cool @Phoenix_Rising 

i really hope it all works out for you. sound like your going to do an amazing job. you sound very determined to get through it Heart

@Phoenix_Rising. What a great first session. Yes It's always good to see the 'proof' that you have a brain and that it is working. Lol.
I didn't have the dreams after my 3 sessions. But I imagine that as you are able to 'relax' the brain and anxiety - it creates more 'space' for subconscious thoughts to come through. I'm not explaining it well. I hope you understand.
And hopefully by going slowly - the dreams will be at a minimum or not scary or stressful.
I can't wait for next weeks update. My fingers are crossed for a really great outcome for you

I learnt a lot from this thread! Like @Zoe7 I'm looking forward to the next episode 🙂

PS: Am I floating around in a giant nutella jar by any chance?
Former-Member
Not applicable

@Phoenix_Rising  I'm going to put my 2c in here.. because I am SO interested in this, being a form on neuroplasticity I had not heard of but have since sourced information based on how you answered me yesterday and I am SUPER excited to get updates from you.

First off, I too was surprised by the "dream" side effect you had, nothing I read or heard from lecturers indicated it.  But it could be related to a number of things so I thought you would have discussed it with others before.  But good to know now these new practitioners are aware of your history with it and if it recurs maybe you will get some answers.  That would be good for you.  And then you can post in here... that would be good for me!  😛 (hahaha)

I'm not suprised about the reaction to the ball shrinking, because that "panic' you described would have that exact result.  So that's interesting and I think you are spot on, once you get used to it being a "normal" thing.. that is shrinking and expanding.. it will be interesting to see that change.  Very interesting and I'd imagine somewhat reassuring.  That there isn't a need to panic when it gets smaller, that it's just part of the process.  But yeah, at first I can see me panicking about it to, in th same way... like no no no it needs to get back to the "healthy" range...  aarrrghhhh .. watches ball get smaller and smaller and panics more and more...  and well yikes.  lol  yep pretty sure that'd be me to until I got settiled into understaning the process and feeling comfortable with watching it.  I can see that alone would be a great brain exercise in thinking through stressful situation.. and teaching our brains to not "panic".

Sounds great.. and looking forward to more reports.  Thank you Phoenix 🙂

Awesome @Phoenix_Rising .... ❣

Wow my friend HeartHeart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000