Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Thanks @DeanYates.  I'm sorry too of course. Incidentally my husband does not know I have PTSD. He is a PTSD snob and does not think anyone outside of armed forces or emergency workers would have it. Plus he's an alcoholic. Incidentally he is a contributor to my C-PTSD - ongoing domestic abuse on top of the initial PTSD event prior to my marriage.  Its kind of a tricky situation really.

Yes I too found it very beneficial to do lots of research into PTSD. Knowledge is power they say.  I think thats right.

My clinical psych gave me tips on mindfulness and lent me a good book a couple of years ago.  I still cant get the hang of it.  I try, but I think it will take a lifetime of practice to really 'get' it.  Whenever I am triggered and need it the most, thats when everything goes right out the door .. forgotten.

I do a yoga class however, which I enjoy.  But I cant stay for the meditation bit afterwards.  I end up bawling my eyes out for some reason.  Not sure why that is.

Sherry

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Thanks @Soozasaur -- by visual triggers, do you mean flashbacks?

I understand about the isolation. Are you guys members of any online support groups?

I'm part of a closed Facebook group of patients who have been admitted to the Ward 17 PTSD unit at the Heidelberg Repat Hospital in Melb.

We all share our experiences. We talk about how we're feeling. It's very validating to be able to share your experiences with someone who knows what your going through.

I haven't really got the hang of Mindfulness yet either @Former-Member Despite trying to for years.

I do 2 yoga classes per week (for the past 6 years), which helps.

Thanks @DeanYates Your wife's caring letter was very insightful & helpful.

Adge

Hmm. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I would have thought EMDR would be especially good for people with complex PTSD. I would suggest @Adge that you call Phoenix Australia in Melb. http://phoenixaustralia.org/

These guys are at the cutting edge of post traumatic mental health.

Can I ask how you were once you left Ward 17 @DeanYates? Reason is my husband was there for 3 weeks prior to Christmas - found the actual stay very beneficial but has really struggled since leaving. He is the worst he has been since he was first diagnosed. I'm hoping there will be a light at the end of the tunnel but its tough right now

Thanks @Former-Member
Without Mary, I am not sure where I would be to be honest

I understand @Hillsy
Your energy needs to be directed where it will have a positive impact

Well that's the case in WA generally @DeanYates

EMDR is refused for people with Complex PTSD.

I've asked many times, & the reason given were the reasons that I mentioned.

Adge

@DeanYates

Yes - nephew has Dx - was abused sexually
BiL was in services - he is aware of drinking issues.

Both live interstate (hence the texting).
My policy is to keep in touch where others haven't, ensure they know I care esp nephew who I think has very little family support.

@DeanYates.  Do you really think it helps to share your experiences?  I know my husband does with his former military mates, and I think finds it pretty helpful.  Me on the other hand.  I dont share with anyone.  I've always kept it to myself. Nobody in my real life knows.  Do you think this could contribute to not 'healing' and moving on?  I sometimes think I never will.  Sometimes I just feel so bitter, angry, distrustful, downright scared of life and everyone in it.  If I didnt bottle it up, would I be better off?  I have only ever disclosed what happened to my psych.  My GP only knows that I have PTSD, not why.

Am I preventing recovery by not being more open about it all?

Sherry

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000