Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

Sorry, EMDR I was referring to......

Re: Topic Tuesday // Supporting someone dealing with PTSD // Tues. 27 Feb. 7pm - 9pm AEDT

I'm sorry for your loss @Susana Heart

Hello @Soozasaur, @Adge, @DeanYates, @NikNik

My husband has to use earplugs as well @DeanYates. Doesn't leave the house without them. Or his noise cancelling headphones with loud music to drown everything else out. Still struggles though.

I'm very sorry to hear this @Former-Member

I have found enormous strength from reading and doing research into PTSD, in particular, reading about others' experiences. I have found mindfulness and yoga to be very good. And I have kept a journal these past couple of years. I would highly recommend it.

That's really unfortunate @Hillsy that your husband's family is not supportive. Have you tried to talk to them about it?

Thank you @DeanYates for sharing such a personal experience through Mary's eyes as your wife and supporter. She must be a great source of stregth for you in yoir journey through PTSD! It's always easier to go through struggles when we have an understanding and loving partner!

Have tried to talk to them many times, til I'm blue in the face. Now I just don't have the energy to care about them. First half his family was toxic, but has come better over the last 6 months. And the other half has become toxic. It is too draining to keep trying to make them understand

Goodness @DeanYates your wife's letter resonated so much with trying to minimise stresses within daily life. It sounds like you both have found a way to make things work well though

Hi @Former-Member
Has your nephew been diagnosed? It sounds like his situation is very challenging.

With your BiL, he has to get off alcohol. I know that's easy to say and much harder to do. But until he does, it's very hard to deal with the underlying symptoms. In Ward 17 for example, the psychs usually don't start therapy until a patient has dried out. Maybe you could show him some literature about how damaging the self-medication is for him. I'm sure SANE would have material (@NikNik)

Wow @DeanYates, thank you to you and your wife for sharing her letter. There are certainly parts that I can directly relate to. Specifically acting as a buffer, trying to minimise stress or prevent triggers.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000