Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: A Life of Trauma and Tragedy (Possibly Triggering Content)

No problems for any delays @Bow , I don't get on here every day anyway.  

Yes I am doing pretty well mostly.  And young Hannah definitely helps, she does fill my days with love and lots of joy. 

I am so pleased to hear that you have a really good support team on your side now. That must make a big difference.  You certainly deserve all the help you can get, with the multi faceted issues you need to deal with in your life.  I do not envy you any of that.  I am sorry for your recent trauma anniversary. I did recall you had one not too long before my own major one at the end of Feb.  I know you are through it now, but the effects linger.  Give yourself time and try to be patient with yourself.

MindDog Australia is an organisation who register assistance dogs for MH purposes (psychiatric assistance dogs).  So yes, it will be for me.  You need to have a MH professional sign paperwork to ascertain that you have a MH condition that would benefit from an assistance dog to help you with everyday life and getting out in public etc.  Then a vet to sign paperwork to say that the nominated dog is fit and healthy and up to the task. If all okay, they will then register the animal.  Hannah needs to be 6 months old before I can register her though, and will need to be de-sexed beforehand too.

MindDog would nominate a local assessor to assess them and help train the dog and owner over the next 12 months.  They have quite rigorous standards, understandable. The trainer has regular check-ins and does progress reports.  At the end of the training period they need to pass a PAT (Public Access Test) to become fully accredited.  If they pass that they become fully fledged, and have all the same rights as a guide dog or other official assistance dog, so public transport, restaurants, shops, etc.  For more info see:  https://www.minddog.org.au/

Maybe you are interested?

I am so glad to read that you are mostly doing well @Emelia8  i know it has been a pretty horrendous few years for you. 

mind dogs does sound really interesting. I’ve seen a couple of dogs in our community mh facilities. And I follow a young girl on Instagram who now that I think of it must be either doing mind dogs or something very similar. Her dog is a KCS I think. 
I can certainly see the benefits and would be something I’d be interested in I think. But I already have 2 cats and we have a dog too. I’d love to follow your training journey if you’d share bits of it once you start. 

Good morning @Emelia8 

I am just dropping by with a bundle of love for you today.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers all day and I’ll be happy to join you for a cuppa and cake whenever you feel ready.

Lots of love

💚🤗💚🤗💚

Hi @Eve7 and thank you. ♥

Yes today is the day, (or tonight anyway)  and its been hard. As has the past several nights. I havent been sleeping,  so I'm very tired.

Isnt it ridiculous how 28 years after 'the event' (irrespective of how traumatic and utterly unbelievable it was at the time) it can still seem so fresh in your mind.  Like it was yesterday. You see it,  your body feels it, all of your senses are heightened around everything to do with it. 29th Feb,  and it was a Thurs that year too, just like it is this year. 

I have had so much trauma therapy over the years to help with it all. And it has helped.  I hate to think where I'd be now without having had that. Fact is,  I'm really pretty good now,  compared to where I have been in previous years. I'm grateful. 

I'm also grateful to have my little dog Hannah now. She doesnt understand,  but when I wake in the night in a panic,  she licks my face,  nuzzles me. She calms me down. She makes me laugh.  My energetic highly excitable little puppy keeps me calm in the dead of night. Who would have thought?  😊

Sorry @Eve7  I got sidetracked. My head ran away with me. Yes please,  a cuppa with you this evening would be great. I would really appreciate the company. 

I notice I have had a surprise visit from the lovely @Clawde 🌹.  Its been a while my friend. How are you? 

Hi also to @Bow @outlander @NatureLover @Shaz51 😊

And the delightful @tonys who said I could tag him anytime. Am I stretching you too thinly by dragging you to my thread? Please feel free to ignore if its too much. I wont be offended ♥

I posted this pic of my little Hannah on a social thread the other day. But for those of you who hasnt seen it yet, this is a recent pic of Hannah. She is now 16 weeks old. 💖

Emelia

IMG_20240228_101428.jpg

She is just the most beautiful girl @Emelia8 and I can imagine the comfort she brings you.

Sorry to be late with the cuppa but the jug is just about to boil. 

IMG_0722.jpeg

Perfect timing @Eve7 😊

I feel privileged that you invite me to your thread.  @Emelia8  that you trust me,  and that I am hopefully one  more little stream  that helps you to that eventual ocean of ,   complete  freedom.      Life does things to people, and 

and mostly there just is no reason for it.  The only control we have is how we handle it,  or endure it.  Somehow you made it this far.  That must have taken a lot of courage.  Courage to seek help,  re-enter,  the event,

and live without the manifestation of demons that cannot be reigned back in.                              Hannah. . .   if it takes

unicorns to help us through dark nights,  then we buy lassos.     We do whatever it takes hey  Emelia.

You'll never quit.    I can tell.   You are determined to live your life and take chances reaching out.

Midnight will pass.   You will see a new sunrise spill shafts of hope through your window,  and 

remember the sweet victory,   You slayed this dark day,   and sent it where darkness belongs.

Oblivion..       You are special,  I sense the kindness and you will prevail..

Hug to you..   and my old slippers to Hannah.                          tonys     😊

Thank you @tonys 😊 you are very kind 💕 

It just would be nice if it wasnt this hard all the time. 

OH.   I forgot to say.  I was a bit late  to the table because I watched this amazing show I've been waiting for on SBS  tv      Called Psychedelics:  Stepping Into The Unknown - Australia  Uncovered.

Ground breaking science,   I had a tear or two in parts.   Well worth  streaming.  @Emelia8 .

Thought of you when I watched one part of it.

@NatureLover   @outlander   @Bow  @Eve7 ..    There are a lot of people I would love to tag

But  maybe it's best done by a community guide somewhere other than your safe little cottage 

by the sea you have built here..

I hope you have bought yourself some treats n nibbles to do the night in,  and by now there are 

just empty wrappers and a sleeping wine bottle to show for your waterloo     

Dream time...    goodnight all              tns.

Thanks @tonys , I will try to remember to check out that show.  It sounds interesting. Maybe tomorrow.

Sleep soundly.  It has just started to rain here.  I like the sound of rain on my roof.

Forgot to mention ... Hannah 🐶 says thanks for the second hand slippers 🤣 you turfed out.  She will probably want to drag them into bed tonight. ☹  Should I ask where they have been?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000