Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

The Gut & Mood

IMG_20170316_115111.png

Just listening to ABC radio talk with author Jiulia Enders -  she's so practical and funny and explains things in every day language. Interesting the links they've found between gut & Mental Health.

3 REPLIES 3
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: The Gut & Mood

Bk review

"GUT" by Jiulia Enders PHD

A cheeky up-close and personal guide to the secrets and science of our digestive system.

For too long, the gut has been the body’s most ignored and least appreciated organ, but it turns out that it’s responsible for more than just dirty work: our gut is at the core of who we are.

Gut: The Inside Story of our Body's Most Underrated Organ gives the alimentary canal its long-overdue moment in the spotlight.

With quirky charm, rising science star Giulia Enders explains the gut’s magic, answering questions like:
- Why does acid reflux happen?
- What’s really up with gluten and lactose intolerance?
- How does the gut affect obesity and mood?

Communication between the gut and the brain is one of the fastest-growing areas of medical research—on par with stem-cell research. Our gut reactions, we learn, are intimately connected with our physical and mental well-being.

Aided with cheerful illustrations by Enders’s sister Jill, this beguiling manifesto will make you finally listen to those butterflies in your stomach: they’re trying to tell you something important.

This is a really interesting and emerging area @Former-Member.  I think that we'll be hearing lots more about it over the next few years.  I've heard people refer to our gut as our 'second brain' as it has so much influence over moods.  Thanks for the info.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Ohhh I want to check this out. Thank you for posting.
I remember learning about migraine and how you get symptoms of nausea not only from the brain but also the enteric nervous system (in the gut) when you have one and I found it really interesting.
I'm doing some neuro units next year and I'm super excited about them!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000