Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Is this a typo??

I don't know where else to ask this question but i was reading the section of "How to Access Treatment" on the BPD website...and i saw this:

4. A GP can refer you to a private psychiatrist for treatment. Individuals can look at the RANZCP website (‘find a psychiatrist’).  Medicare funds cover part of the costs of consulting a psychiatrist for up to 50 sessions a year.

What i have been told for the last 5 years is that you can get 10 "FREE" mental health sessions per year but in reality NONE of them a "FREE" because you have to pay upfront and then get a medicare rebate

What is this about 50 sessions a year with a psychiatrist?? 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is this a typo??

Hi @Former-Member 

I have a feeling that you are a new member and I would like to welcome you to the forum family - I am sure you will find support here - we are all into helping each other

I don't know about the 50 sessions a year with a psychiatrist - or whether medicare rebates cover all the cost or only part of it - still one visit a week doesn't sound much - but could be helpful depending on the state of a person's finances I am sure

When it comes to psychologists it's possibly to get rebates from Medicare for up to 10 visits a year - and as you say - it's necessary to pay first and then get part of the fee back - and some psychologist charge a great deal above that rebate so it is still out of the reach of many people

And to me - 10 rebated visits to a psychologist and then only 50 to a psychiatist makes me wonder - why are people requiring help with mental health issues - I haven't found this so with medical health issues - in fact - my medicare rebates increase after a certain amount - 

I spoke to someone about this - someone in the profession - and was told that people were using the rebate system too much - now that's punitive - or seems so - 

But I am wondering if this helps - one thing though - you are not alone in this and I am not sure who works all this out or how

I am glad to see you here though - this site is open to all for no cost at all

Dec

Former-Member
Not applicable

I don't trust the system anyway...my experience with a psychiatrist here in Tassie earlier this year only added to the trauma and since then it's been all downhhill...when i voiced my concerns about how i was treated they said i could pay for a private psychiatrist if i wanted any further help...the psychologist i've been seeing has in no way given me any strategies to deal with the issues he makes me talk about...i even had to trick someone into telling me my diagnosis because no one would tell me...the gp wouldn't tell me because he "didn't write the report"...the psychologist wouldn't tell me because "it's not addressed" to him and i should "speak to the gp" (they both work in the same clinic)...and the psychiatrist told me a different diagnosis to my face...gave me a bunch of meds n sent me on my way...and that's it...they ticked their boxes...did the minimum...gave me a bunch of drugs to "control" me...

i've since cancelled all appts with said gp and psychologist...i'm not taking any meds cos i researched what they do...and then i read websites that say how caring and accommodating the mental health services are...and to find out all these other services are available that not a single person in healthcare or mental health told me i could access...just here's your meds go away...oh and keep seeing a person who retraumatises you every time you see them and be sure to pay them for it...yeh right...

hi @Former-Member @Owlunar

The mental health system is a complex beast.

what are you doing for yourself these days? @Former-Member

Hey @Former-Member, we're sorry to hear that you've lost faith in the system. It sounds like you've done a lot of research on your own which is great, across your research have you been able to find someone local that you may find comfortable seeing? 

Former-Member
Not applicable

not a chance unless i cough up for private psychs n i can't afford the medicare ones as it is...my partner overheard a convo with the state premier about the health system down here....the premier said they could throw all the money from every dept at health n it still wouldn't fix it so they're not going to bother...but they have agreed on billions of dollars for a new building for private mental health services...

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000