Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Rubyf
Contributor

Has anyone got PARCS experience?

Hello forum friends!

i hope this finds all of you well!

Yes it is 4am, yes I do have psychiatric appointment today.

Its my first and we're to be discussing my admission to a Prevention and Recovery Care Service facility and I'm so terrified. What goes on? What amount should I be budgeting(Centrelink cut me off yesterday because I can't look for work)? What if they want to keep me forever? 

Im sure a few of you have first hand experiences with PARCS and I'd love to hear about it. I'm not very good at replying, and I apologise for that, but know that I will read your response and try to form answers to any questions you might have about my as yet undiagnosed condition and the circumstances surrounding this pending stay in care.

Y'all are fantastic, thanks in advance!

❤️Rubyf

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Has anyone got PARCS experience?

Right
Don't know your circumstances but why couldn't you get a medical certificate from a doctor for exemption from work?You shouldn't be cut off under the circumstances.

Hi @Rubyf. C'link, not much positive help there. They seem to have their own rules about who gets financial assistance and who doesn't. Li1's question about getting a permanent exemption from work due to mental/physical illness sounds like a good starting base. Cutting you off with no explanation sounds cold. Talking to a real person at C'link, I agree almost impossible. Can you get to your G.P and ask him/her for a certificate exempting you from work? C'link would have to reassess your case and would most likely reinstate your pension. I know there is a 'work for the dole' scheme, but there are people who are exempt due to permanent injuries, who don't even have to go to an employment agency. They are required to report on a fortnightly basis, and they are regularly re-assessed but they are pretty much left alone.

The drs clinic I attend was over an hour drive from my home, until recently(now its 35mins), the doctors that are there, aren't there for long and my local Centrelink (now only 120kms rather than the 250 previous) take the 'I first saw this patient' date box incredibly seriously.
The psychiatrist and psychologist have lists as long as there arms, I don't blame the people, it's the system. I 'spose I just got lost in it.

Hey, thanks for the reply,

After my appointment Wednesday I walked away with a 3 month certificate and an intake interview date and time. 

Next Wednesday. I've been told to pack a bag for "a little while", my nurse is pretty casual, I'm thinking about asking to see someone else, but that's something to deal with later.

I'm hoping to gain some knowledge about dealing with post traumatic stress while at PARCS, so that I'll be able to get back into work at some point, I hope. I feel like it's a tremendous goal, that I have yet to put an end date on, since I don't yet know how effective the strategies will be for me.

Since realising that I was going to be admitted, I feel quite relieved. I know of several people who rave about the optimal health program, which is run through a community outreach program, conference style (for those not in the facility or maybe the facility came after the community program started, I don't know!). I've had a great couple of days impromptu celebration of my pregnancy with friends. 

Hi Rubyf. I have been to PARC twice and found it to be very casual and clean, great staff. I felt that's the only inbetween facility that is between Hospital and Home. Enjoy
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000