Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Everan
Senior Contributor

Addiction problems

I was looking at this today from Dr Phil.

I thought it helped become aware of addictions, such as playing video games.

10 Key Signs of Having an Addiction

Whether it's drug use, sex or overspending, do you wonder if your behavior is crossing the line into addiction? Dr. Gary Stollman, Ph.D., is a psychotherapist who helps individuals overcome self-defeating patterns of behavior. He gives 10 key signs of having an addiction:

1) Recurrent failure (pattern) to resist impulses.

2) Frequently engaging in those behaviors to a greater extent or over a longer period of time than intended. 

3) Persistent desire or unsuccessful efforts to stop, reduce or control those behaviors. 

4) Inordinate amount of time spent in obtaining the object of addiction and/or engaging in or recovering from the behavior. 

5) Preoccupation with the behavior or preparatory activities. 

6) Frequently engaging in behavior when expected to fulfill occupational, academic, domestic or social obligations. 

7) Continuation of the behavior despite knowledge of having a persistent or recurrent social, academic, financial, psychological or physical problem that is caused or exacerbated by the behavior. 

😎 Need to increase the intensity, frequency, number or risk of behaviors to achieve the desired effect, or diminished effect with continued behaviors at the same level of intensity, frequency, number or risk.

9) Giving up or limiting social, occupational or recreational activities because of the behavior. 

10) Resorting to distress, anxiety, restlessness or violence if unable to engage in the behavior at times.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Addiction problems

Thanks for sharing @Everan, what do you think about those 10 key signs?  

I think its a good way of looking at addiction @Everan 

Its far more prevalent than just substance abuse.

I still have a few niggly things to work through ...

Smiley Happy

Well that was confronting! Nuff said...

Thanks @Everan 

Hi @Ali11 

The signs increase my awareness for my use of the internet. I spend about 2 hours a day on the computer playing games. It's good to know to make the best decision for your situation. You want to best out of life.

@Appleblossom 

@Hope4me 

Hi guys,

Thanks for reading.

It's great that it goes a little way @Appleblossom

It was a bit shocking @Hope4me .

There is so much information in general.

Yeah @Everan; I know the 'games' thing well I'm afraid. No pokies, just a solitaire junkie. Your info really hit home; still does. Thanks for posting it...Heart

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000