Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

I didn't see the draft, but what you describe sounds like it fits with society's obsession with the medical model of MI, rather than considering other factors such as housing and employment.

Re: Topic Tuesday // What is mental health reform and why is it important for you // Feb 14, 7-9pm AEDT

sorry to ehar it, but not an uncommon story.

The National Mental Health Commission review in 2014 found that the mental health system actually hurts people way too often. That's part of what we are hoping to change!

Great question @Zoe7 - I'm sure Frank will be answer that for you. If you're interested to read the full document later, here is a link: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/content/8F54F3C4F313E0B1CA258052000ED5C5/$File...

Absolutely. For a number of people I know and definitely for me, the lack of actual accountability and open disclosure that happens means it causes more trauma. I hope the "guidelines" in place become actual mandatory requirements for service that does no harm.

@Phoenix_Rising, it's my opinion that they view the psychosocial methods of helping mental illness as irrelevant or too expensive. Giving people a pill is (often) a much cheaper and easier option.

Sadly accepssibility can vary a lot depending on where you are, and who you are...

Metrapolitan or regional?

English speaking or CALD or Indigenous.

Services are not spead evenly - far from it - and many communities are left behind 😞

I'm sorry. I registered but I am really unwell and need my bed. I hope to get info on this somewhere. My apologies.

I'm just wondering what the future holds as far as out mental health plans and only being able to access 10 visits to a therapist per year

@Former-Member Yep, I totally agree. And it is also why those of us who have issues that are due more to environmental factors / trauma than to any sort of chemical imbalance, are labelled as too difficult to treat, because our stuff isn't fixed with a pill.

I'm from a well off area of Sydney - in the public system I had to wait 6 weeks for a follow up psych appointment despite being suicidal and psychotic. I refused a hospital bed, so I had to wait 6 weeks for outpatient treatment. That's NOT accessible at all. And that's in a well off, well serviced health district in Sydney.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000