Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Navigating work life and mental health // Tues 17 Sep, 7pm AEST

@Former-Member Yes I hope it changes on day. Some of the best people I've worked with and know have failed miserably at interviews. People just need to be given a chance rather then be judged by a sometimes 10 minute window where majority of people are extremely nervous and anxiety filled and unable to 'perform' or answer a question to their normally me than fine 'normal ability. 

Re: Topic Tuesday // Navigating work life and mental health // Tues 17 Sep, 7pm AEST

Wonderful tips @Lise07 and also a good way to potentially reframe it and even help to lower the pressure felt around it when thinking of an 'imperfect test'. Love this line: you aren't there to answer every question perfectly, but to show that you would fit in the role.

@Shaz51 your insight around accepting lots of jobs and managing that is really important and links to looking at our wellbeing at work around being able to say no! We will go into that point soon too 😊

Some other practical tips in terms of the interview process are things like: learning about the company or organisation, making eye contact, keeping in mind what it is that interests you about the role, try to appear confident by not slouching and asking for things that might help you feel comfortable like water or bringing someone along or checking the accessibilty of the location. And remembering your strengths! 

This night has moved quickly indeed @BlueBay - thanks for joining us and feel free to come back and read through this later! 

Lets jump to our next discussion point! 

Goals are great to have, but it is important to balance them and acknowledge realistic epectations. Achievements do not need to be measured against others or by society (as hard as it can be to not do that!) Has anyone heard of SMART goals? SMART goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievalble, Realistic and Timely.

download.png

Has anyone tried this approach? Does it sound like something you could apply to yourself in your context at the moment- career or not? And if you are comfortable sharing, what could a SMART goal look like for you?

@Former-Member I haven't seen that before!! I like it!! I will definately use that. Possibly for getting back to full time work. This is the first time in my adult working life that I haven't worked full time so it is a goal I'm working towards and do feel the pressure from those around me and financially. Thanks for sharing it 

I'm dropping out now too @Former-Member  and all.  Fading fast and don't feel I've much to contribute tonight.  I'll come back and read thru' tomorrow or the day after.  Please tag me into the follow-up thread if it happens.  Night all x

Night @eth  Hope you get a good sleep. 

It can be a useful tool @Fracturedlight - glad you like it! It can be helpful to use this to break down a bigger goal into smaller ones looking then looking at the specific parts of it and the rest of the letters in this tool! 

No worries @eth thank you so much for contributing tonight!! 

I used to use goal setting a lot and found SMART goals helpful, but I found/find it very tricky when life has ideas that get in the way of my goals. Perhaps it's something I can revisit one day as it has helped. Maybe make it a goal to make some goals 😉

Haha @CheerBear love making goals to make goals! Nice to hear you found this helpful in the past. I know I have also used this model outside of standard work as such too when it comes to other life things so hopefully it can be useful if ever there is a time where there might be lots of things to consider and sitting down and breaking it down into goals might help! 

I particularly like the R around realistic - I think we can all share the feeling of pressure that can appear for us and this letter in this model always makes me try to stop and think what is realistic to me and not to my expectations that might be based on other perceptions...trying to be kind to you around what is real for you. 

Hi, im new here so not sure how this all works, but ill give it a go

Does anyone know how someone who has suffered there whole life and is diagnosed with severe social anxiety, generalised anxiety disorder, major depression, autistic traits, adhd inattentive, brain fog and a few other things gets the opportunity to find meaningful work when no one will give them a go? Most jobs require experience, even the entry level jobs seem to require experience?

How does someone like me who has moved away from the city where the work is, because I couldnt afford to live there ever get out of this hole? I can afford to live where i am, but there is very little work in the area? 

This is what i find the most difficult, im someone who wants to give work a go, but there is no help for me to get any experience or to move where i could have an opportunty

Sorry if im not saying it right 🙂 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000