Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Motivation // Tues 14 Aug, 7pm AEDT

I’m like that @Gpro 

i look at others and see how motivated they are. And then that makes me feel even worse 

I found it really interesting to hear the idea that motivation can be "an unreachable concept that zaps and deflates" @Lauz. I dont think I've heard of motivation being anything other than a really positive thing.

Maybe if we are motivated to do things are beyond us, even if they're beyond us only at the time, it can become kind of that zapping deflating thing. I relate to that a lot. I can feel a lot of "why bother, I'm never going to get there anyway" stuff and that's not very helpful or motivating!

MRe: Topic Tuesday // Motivation // Tues 14 Aug, 7pm AEDT

I'm here what are we up to?

Hello @Lauz, @BlueBay, @Gpro, @Adge, @CheerBear

Minr is getting everyday balance of motivation

If I see someone who has a really dire situation re trauma or illness etc and they get media coverage for overcoming, I think wow I’m not hat bad but still can’t get going how crap am I? If I see someone who looks like they have everything and they’re not coping eg celeb suicides or revelations of mental illness I feel a lot of empathy then think gosh if they can’t get by what hope do I have?

It is an interesting concept isn't it @CheerBear. While motivation is a positive thing, it can feel negative like you said when we use it to possibly put too much pressure on ourselves to achieve too much at times. And that pressure can be where a lot of harsh self talk comes from - even though we are the only ones putting that amount of pressure on ourselves right? 

Yes, when I criticise (or judge) myself for "not doing enough" - I then feel deflated, useless (de-motivated).

When people often say: "Think of the worst-case scenario" (or someone worse-off) - that destroys my motivation, & leaves me feeling terrible.

Because in many cases, I have already been there, I have already lived & experienced that (I don't need reminders of it).

Adge

Motivation itself isn't really negative I don't think. Comparing ourselves to others can be definitely. It can also make us realise what's possible though.

Welcome @Shaz51 and @Liss23 - thanks for joining and sharing. We are currently exploring the negative self talk that can come up when we try to get motivated @Liss23

@Gpro I think a lot of us can relate with that internal thought process you have described. It's hard when we are struggling and have empathy and feel we should be able to do better in that case

Thanks for having me again!
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000