Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Mental health and menopause // 15 Aug, 7pm AEST

Hi @BlueBay, I know what you mean about facial hair. It's one of the things that bugs me too. Some of the other things you mentioned, I experience too. Certainly had a decline in general health last year that I believe was related to menopause and body changes going on. What's helped there is dealing with each of the problems methodically with my GP and receiving some treatments for things such as osteoarthritis.

* waves at @Former-Member *

WOW @NikNik 

I guess I'm one of the low percentage of people who have experienced a number of negative symptoms of menopause. Also my last big breakdown (the one when I went to bed for 20 hours a day for many months), was during perimenopause, though I didn't know I was in that stage of life at the time. As it happens I have seen an improvement in my mental health since I entered menopause proper. But that also relates to a lot of support and work I've been doing towards that.

@NikNik

I have just missed two months of my period, so I guess this is the beginning.  Although I think i have been in the 'peri-menopause' stage for a while.  

But the hot flushes are starting now and all i have done today is jumper on jumper off!!!

I had a lot of that in the list @NikNik, went to the doctor and she said ohhh you are going through menopause

@BlueBay, I've been having a hot flush day today too, in fact most days are hot flush days. I take black cohosh (called Remifemin at the chemist) to help with symptoms, recommended to me by my GP. It doesn't take the flushes away but it does seem to reduce their extremity to some degree.

There is a product I have started taking recently which is made by an Australian naturopath and specifically for women going through menopause.  You can only buy it online and he moderates questions from women through facebook page which he has over 100,000 followers from Australia and overseas. I will see how this goes in a few months to notice the difference. Supposed to help with all symptoms of menopause.

Some of you have already referred to this (thanks for the segue :)), which is there are stages of the menopause process:

Perimenopause: Transition before menopause, when a woman’s ovaries begin to produce less estrogen. It lasts until menopause, when the ovaries stop releasing eggs. This stage can last 4 years (say what?!?!?! That's a long time!).

Some symptoms include:

Irregular periods

Irritability

sleeplessness

Menopause: Begins when the ovaries stop releasing eggs and periods stop. The production of hormones progesterone and estrogen slow down and It is confirmed after 12 months without a period.

Some symptoms include:

body inability to regulate its temperature (hot flushes)

Loss of sex drive

Heat palpitations, or heart beats that are suddenly noticeable

Postmenopause: After menopause ends. The research shows the menopausal symptoms stop for most by this point, however, because certain hormones have stopped being produced or declined, there is an increase risk of conditions  

Does this sound familiar for people.
@Former-Member , if you don't mind me asking, how long did you find each phase lasting (until reaching post menopause?)
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000