Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Lauz
Senior Contributor

Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

LE Topic Tuesday banner.jpg

With incoming holidays and festivities it's important to look after yourself. For this Topic Tuesday we will have a special guest from Lifeline Australia exploring this subject with us. Stay tuned for more info soon.

Want to receive an email reminder on the night? Hit the 'Support' button below.

I'm new here - what is Topic Tuesday?

Topic Tuesday runs from 7pm - 9pm AEST monthly. Each month we focus on a different topic, with the session facilitated by a Community Manager or Moderator. Sometimes Topic Tuesday will feature a special guest, who is an expert in the topic.

The first post of the thread (this one) will give you an idea of what the topic is and what will be covered.

How do I get involved?

Topic Tuesday takes place right here! It's text based, so no software is needed. During the session, to keep up with the latest posts hit the 'refresh' button on your browser for the latest posts (it doesn't automatically update). Keep an eye for page numbers at the top & bottom of the page, and jump to the highest page number for the most recent post.

Throughout the session, the facilitator will put questions out for you to answer, usually asking for your own experience on the topic. To contribute to the session, just hit the 'reply' button and share your thoughts. No answers are right or wrong and everyone is welcome to get involved.

If you have any questions about how to use the Forums, check out our Guides

172 REPLIES 172

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

Thanks all for joining in on tonight’s Topic Tuesday where we will be talking about how to support yourself during the festive season.

Extra special warm welcome to all of those who wanted a reminder of tonight's event 🙂

@Everan @soufflegirl @Former-Member @Dave1977 @Teej @frog @BlueBay @Razzle @Shaz51 @CheerBear @Adge  
@Former-Member @Jumpingcactus @Zoe7

I am super keen to welcome our guest tonight - Robert! Robert is a Lifeline supervisor and crisis supporter, he has been supporting those in need for 10 years.

In terms of tonight’s structure, I’ll be posting some questions every 10 or so minutes for Robert and yourselves to contribute to. This is an awesome chance to learn from Robert and from other members. So please join in and share your own questions too!

To start us off I’ll get @Robert_Lifeline to introduce himself and share a little about his experience 🙂 ...

Re: Topic Tuesday // How do you support yourself through the festive season // Tues 11 Dec, 7pm AEDT

@nashy

Hello everyone and it is a pleasure to be here, thanks to @nashy and @Lauz for organisingthis. As a  brief self-introduction, I am currently in the position of Centre Supervisor at a Queensland Lifeline centre. My role involves providing support and supervision to crisis supporters who take calls on the 13 11 14 line. I also take calls when I have some free time. I began my Lifeline journey in 2009 when I trained as a volunteer telephone counsellor (back then we were called ‘counsellors’ but now we are called crisis supporters, to distinguish our work from ongoing counselling work). I have held various roles with the service over the years and now my focus is overseeing programs and initiatives within the service that are focused on practice quality and consistency of response to our help seekers (i.e., adherence to our practice models). Prior to working for Lifeline I have counselled children and young people. I am passionate about advocating for people in our communities who are stigmatised, isolated, marginalised etc., and who may present with mental health challenges, through my supervisor role. I hold a Graduate Diploma of Psychological Science and currently I’m interested in Narrative Therapy. Fun Fact: My mother used to take me to her Lifeline phone shifts when I was a baby and place me on a sheepskin rug next to her as she took calls – so I sometimes wonder if there was a certain amount of fate in my ending up back here!

Welcome @Shaz51!

Hello all.  Very interested in this topic. 

Thanks for joining @utopia 🙂 I agree! Will be getting started in a few minutes.

Hi @nashy@Robert_Lifeline I am supposed be taking a break from here but was interested in tonight’s tslk. 

Hi @Robert_Lifeline Great that you can join us here tonight.

Hi @nashy Smiley Happy

Hey @BlueBay definitely, I think it's a super important one. Thanks for joining Heart 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000