Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

I find I'm scared to tell people I have a mental illness because of the stigma I lost alot of friends when I became unwell and am scared people will judge me if I tell them

I'm often in hospital for medical reasons and I'm always so fearful of telling them about my voices for fear of being sent to the mental health unit. In a recent admission I found my "brave" and told the psych registrar who immediately told me I must be schizophrenic or psychotic. I tried explaining my voices to them but it fell on deaf ears - from that point on any voice related distress I felt, I was told that it wasn't real and to take a few deep breaths or one nurse told me that I was being silly and I needed to just calm down..

i think one of my worst experiences of stigma came from the mother of someone my 8yo son used to play with at school.  After she found out i hear voices she wouldn't let our kids play together anymore.

I think one of the most annoying preconceptions when i reveal i hear voices is the response "so you're schizophrenic?" and I have to explain that actually I am not.

I also dislike in mainstream media how people with schizophrenia are often shown as violent & aggressive (ie the movie "The Voices" with Ryan Reynolds 2014), I think it is time for mental illness to be portrayed more appropriately in movies.

I'm thinking perhaps stigma was a big topic to leave so late in the night! It's only 6:40pm in Perth, but late enough. I'm well impressed people over east have stuck it out till almost 9! Well done guys

Thats really hard @Leapy. I'm sorry to hear you lost friends. Have you met people along the way on your recovery journey? These can often be the best friends to confide in as they can understand what your experiences are more. Sadly, its quite human to fear what we dont know or understand. That's why education to normalise voices is so key 

Ok guys, phone is dying but thanks for having me and a MASSIVE thankyou Georgie! I wish everyone here the best and remember that even when stuff is at it's worst, you're never alone xx

wow @Smashpea, and from mental health professionals. This is so shameful on their behalf. Man, if feel a surge of educational sessions at inpatient units coming on in WA! Watch out! Having said this, I dont want to also bad mouth all clinicians. I have heard so many recovery stories that include a single person (or many) who made the world of difference 

I have met some people along the way who have been great supporters of me but I have many people in my life who don't know I have a mental illness

@Smashpeait is infuriating when you get told "just calm down" or one of my (non)favourites is "when you understand the voices are not real they will go away"  one of my last admissions I explained to the psych liaison that my voices were a complex psychological construct which appear to be related to previous and current life stresses and trauma.  He looked like i'd smacked him in the face! - but at least he didn't tell me they weren't real.

@lanae976, that is really upsetting to hear, and I bet even more upsetting for you to have gone through. You are coragous for having told people. Im so sorry to hear they were far less so. 

And yes, those portrayals in the media are terribly disturbing and the reason why that mother reacted the way she did. How do you feel about the new common portrayal where people with psychosis (or related experiences) are shown as alsmot magical? I think it also spreads misunderstanding but i guess at least less negative. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000