Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // Hearing Voices // Tues 15 May, 7pm AEST

Lol thankyou greenpea - 2 peas in a pod

-apologies for the dad joke-

Hi everyone, looking forward to the discussion.

Hi @lanae976 - welcome to the forums and tonights topic tuesday. Great to have you here to share your experiences as well. Smiley Happy

Hello  @Georgie_Paulik, @Lauz Smiley Happy

Let's get talking... 10-25% of the population will experience voices or other similar perceptual experiences at some stage in their lives, and this statistic excludes people who have these experiences while having a fever or during drug intoxication. For some people who hear voices, this experience may be part of a “psychosis”, but for many it is not. Some people may hear voices because of trauma or as part of other mental health difficulties, such as depression or anxiety. For others, they experience no mental health difficulties at all. And in fact, in the elderly it is more the ‘norm’ than not, with ~50% of people over the age of 60 hearing or seeing their loved one in the weeks after their loved one has passed away. I’d love to hear people’s thoughts and personal accounts relating to this.

@lanae976 Hi Soraya 🙂 

In what context have/did you hear voices or have similar perceptual experiences? How did this experience affect your mental health?

I've been hearing voices for since my mid 20s ( 10ish years ago). They seemed to have come out of nowhere for no particular reason and despite having other mental health issues, they were not related to psychosis. I'm wondering why they started so late in the game?

I have DID and hear voices all the time

I was at my doctors dissociating and very traumatised when the next thing i could hear my mums voice in my head telling me how bad I am. I was yelling at her voice in my head. Telling her to shut up. But she kept telling me off and saying horrible stuff to me. At the end my doctor called an ambulance and sent me to hospital.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000