Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Karrie
Contributor

Trigger Warning - Self Harm

Trigger Warning: Self Harm.

I have self-harmed in the past (but haven’t for the past 10 days). I just want to ask people about strategies they have for self-harm so I can hopefully not self-harm in the future. Please know I am safe and NOT engaging in self-harm.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Trigger Warning - Self Harm

I find the 'Calm Harm' app quite helpful as a distraction when the urge is imminent. It's based on DBT skills, but makes it a bit more fun with activities to choose from that last between 5 and 15 minutes. You can download it onto your phone so it's always with you 🙂

This is something that I constantly struggle with at the moment @Karrie  i spoke with some specifically about strategies yesterday so they are fresh in my mind.

Have you heard of TIPP skills? (Quick google with explain it). The temperature and intense exercise help me a lot. A cold shower, a bag of frozen veg to the face. Short intense bursts of exercise. The lady that I spoke to said to then pair it with the paces breathing afterwards. 

Keeping myself super busy too is helpful. I have a few go to activities that I engage in. 

Being around people is good too. When I’m struggling a lot I make sure I try and be around my daughter. She bunking in with me tonight cause I am struggling big time. I tend to SH of a night…. So she is saving me tonight. 

medication can have its place too. If I’m having an extra bad day and I’m concerned about where the evening will lead I try and take my medication earlier than normal. That way once my daughter is in bed I’m going to bed too (generally only let her bunk in with me on the weekends).

hope there are so helpful ideas @Karrie 

I really want to not harm at all. I would be happy for the urges to not be there either

Hey @Karrie ,

I have chronic suicidal ideation that I have learnt to live with. I used to self-harm, but not anymore. It was like an addiction... I can't even describe it. Then suddenly, I realised I stopped doing it, and I never had the urge to do it anymore...

Good on you for reaching out and wanting to make a difference.

wish i could just stop

Maybe it's not about focusing on the self-harm and wanting it to stop, but rather, focus on whatever is driving the self-harm? Do you have professional supports who can talk you through some of what is going on for you? @Karrie 

I can see you really are making a difference and hence you deserve all the support you can get.

I was due to have a planning call with SANE tomorrow but I hadnt told them I had previously self-harmed so not sure if that makes me ineligible for the guided support now

Hey @Karrie ,

Self-harm doesn't disqualify you from getting support. The main boundary we DO have is that we are not a crisis service which means we cannot work with those in crisis, but instead need to refer you on to other services.

You deserve support. All the best with your planning session tomorrow. It would be great to have a chat to them about your long term goal being not to self-harm (if that's what it is).

Please take care. If you feel unsafe at any time, please contact 000.

hey,

i struggle with self harm and lately it has been getting worse. it is pretty much on anmd off exept im not in control. i dont know what to do. it is just so comferting but ik its bad for me but i cant stop. i always hide it but right now, i dont care if my pernats see it. i need help.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000