Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

LostAngel
Senior Contributor

Playing Catch up/concerned

lets say I mucked up my centrelink stuff last week and only this morning has some panic set in about that as for now my payment has been stopped,other than that I do have a phone appointment today so hopefully that will sort things out ,sometimes its the motivation to these simple yet important things that is hard to get motivation for,on the pluss side though I spent plenty of time on the weekend resting and now hopefully have the energy to deal with this,does anyone else just find it hard to keep up with appointments,buisness type things especially when with coming out of the worst of Covid theres a reajustment ect as well as times of depression/anxiety ,its really making me think now that I would be better offf on DSP pension due to Anxiety/depression,I find it hard with making and keeping appointments including doctor,phychologist appointment,to the point I may not bother trying to see a phychologist in person,but then again I may have to organise an over the phone phychologist ,I do however have an over the phone counciller who I will rebook an appointment with and I do need to rebook an appointment with my doctor asap to sort out you geussed it the centrelink stuff so heres to a day of facing the music to do with some things

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Playing Catch up/concerned

Hi there @LostAngel 

Centrelink can be a difficult organisation to deal with and I can understand your concerns. Whilst I don't know how to help you, what I can say is I'm glad you're being proactive and looking at fixing up what went wrong on your end. That takes courage and I'm proud of you so well done! My best answer would be I'd be honest and tell the truth and hope that things go okay!

I personally am scared of Centrelink because they can control my money in regards to payments so I prefer to have as little as possible dealing with them. I do what I have to with their requests and hope that things will be okay.

Take care,

Judi9877☺️🍀

Hey @LostAngel - you might want to consider getting help from a disability advocate to get you back on your Centrelink and help you apply for the DSP.

@LostAngel 

What is it about resting that recharges you and gives you energy? Are you talking like physical energy or Mental Energy?

Hello @LostAngel , and , @Judi9877 , @Gwynn 

and others visiting this thread

I agree with and support the ideas offered by @Judi9877  and  @Gwynn 

Having, some years ago, worked in a department that had close connections with Centrelink, I can understand the reservations that people sometimes have about dealing with the Centrelink department.

'On the other hand', in my own recent dealings with Centrelink, I have noticed a significant improvement in the overall client-Centrelink staff relationship and service, so it appears to me that there has been additional staff training provided. Unfortunately, there are still issues with regard to the attitude of some individuals in the department who are 'front line staff' in some offices.

A story that comes to mind is of a fellow who came to me, in the department in which I worked, and said something along the lines of:

"I went and gave the information required to the Centrelink staff member, and told them what I needed. Nothing went according to how it should have worked."

Exactly what I said to him, I cannot write here. But the essence of what I said was something similar to the following:

"When you are talking with the person, it is wise to express your concern, and/or acknowledge your lack of knowledge about how things work, offer the information that you have and ask how you can address the issue of concern to you."

In this way you are asking for the assistance of the person with whom you are speaking. It is very likely that the person will offer the information that is already available to them, through the material to which they have access, and/or action the information that you, as the client have provided, in such a way as to help you achieve your goal.

After going back to Centrelink and proceeding in the manner that I had suggested, he returned to my office, almost bouncing through the door, and exclaimed something similar to the following;

"It worked, the person was so pleasant to me and everything has been arranged as it needs to be."

We often think about how the provision of customer/client services should be conducted, but it is also worth keeping in mind how we, as customers or clients, should act as consumers of services.

There was no trick involved in the situation that I describe above, it was simply a matter of applying good client/consumer engagement with the staff member/provider person.

However, there are times when it is appropriate to request the assistance of an advocate, social worker, or other client support service provider. You can also ask if the Centrelink office that you are attending may have a social worker available on the staff.

With the wish that your engagement with the department will be productive and conducted in a manner that allows you to feel positive about the process.

And With My Best Wishes

@HenryX 

@LostAngel  Hi LostAngel I am my son2s carer even though I have BipolarI/schizoaffective disorder so I dont rely upon dsp I have the carer pension. I hate dealing with centrelink it freaks the pea out.  I feel for you. peax

thank you so much for understanding xHeart

mental energy @Gwynn or was it @AussieRecharger  who asked ,lately I have not been at the top of my game with things mentally 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000