Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

16b
Casual Contributor

Panic attacks

Anxiety and panic attacks have suddenly bombarded me and I'm struggling to get through each day. I am calling chat lines each day. I have had a medicine review but forgot to ask how long it may take for me to notice a change. I dont want to feel like this anymore.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Panic attacks

Hi and welcome, @16b . It's good you've joined the forums, where people can understand and relate to what you're going through. I can too, and it really sucks, I know. 

That's good you've had a meds adjustment...maybe you can call the office of your doctor and ask about the time frame?

And I was wondering, do you have a counsellor who you can talk through your anxieties with?

A handy forum tip is to type @ and then click on a member's name in the drop-down box, that way they'll get a notification that you're replying to them. 

Wishing you all the best.

hi @16b and welcome
I already see you have a lovely reply from @NatureLover

medications can take up to 4-8 weeks to see any affect including when you increase medications. if it isn't working for you after a few weeks it may mean you need another review to see if an increase is needed or even to try a dfferent medication.

have you considered speaking to a psychologist to talk about the things that are causing you to have panic attacks? often medications aren't enough alone and need to try and get to the source of the panic attacks so that you can work on ways to cope more effectively

@outlander wrote:
medications can take up to 4-8 weeks to see any affect including when you increase medications. 

I didn't know this @outlander , I thought it was more like 2 weeks, so thank you for this info.

That's quite a while.. ha.

I have a telehealth appointment with a psychologist on Wednesday and seeing my gp again on Tuesday.

It's so frustrating to be smart enough to know it WILL get better but once the panic sets in so does the fear that itll never end.

@16b  I feel your pain

i think I am going thru something similar 

I have just moved so had to find a new GP so that I didn't need to drive an hour to see my old one.... she wants to refer me to a psychiatrist to look at my meds... but didn't give me a referral  letter... so I can't make an appointment

i don't feel like my psychologist is working for me... I talk... I tell them everything... but I can be a great actress when I need to and so I put on a smile and pretend all is ok so I don't have to see them anymore

i am waking every morning completely on edge... shaky... panicky... I am constantly trolling these forums to try and get some ideas and clarity 

I can't function properly... everything is getting on top of me and is a chore.... I don't want to get out of bed ...:

I keep running back to bed to hide from the anxiety but I've been told that sadly wont help. I keep being advised to distract myself but nothing works. I don't want to feel this forever

I agree @16b ... I don't want to feel like this forever either.... I just want to be able to wake up not on edge... bro get out of bed and face the day without feeling like I am constantly looking over my shoulder 

I want to be the happy carefree me again 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000