Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

ez94
New Contributor

OCD AND ANXIETY WITH ASBESTOS

Hello! 

Does anyone, or has anyone ever suffered from extreme anxiety and OCD with possible asbestos exposure? 

I used to suffer from anxieties in my younger years, and learnt to be more at peace with my brain throughout my teenage and young adult years.... but in the last year, it has come creeping back, and is all consuming.. Every minute of the day I am always so hyper aware of anything that is toxic/dangerous.... especially Asbestos. 

It all started when I visited my extended family. They had a Super Six Asbestos fence still on their property... and my cousins where playing outside with a soccer ball, near the fence. It was hitting it occasionally.. and it instantly created fear in my mind that fibres were going to be released into the air and therefore contaminating everything and everyone around it, and then those fibres being transfered on to objects, cars, couches, and the list goes on... 

Since then, it almost seems that my brain is actively hunting for any signs of asbesos, in the environment. It has become such a remurnating fear, and has given me a lot of stress and has caused a few arguments with family. 

I am currently seeking help with the psychologist, but I would love to speak to someone who has been through/ or who is going through the same thing. 

thanks. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: OCD AND ANXIETY WITH ASBESTOS

@ez94  Welcome to the forums.

I don’t have any experience with asbestos, just information the problems it can cause that can come through the media.

I hope your psychologist can help you through this.

Hi and welcome, @ez94 ! It's good you've joined the forums, where people can relate to what you're going through. 

I have OCD (germophobia), which I guess is a little similar to what you're experiencing. I'm hyper-aware of the possibility of germs everywhere, and need to know the history of every single item I come into contact with (which of course, is impossible). Strangely though, I have been exposed to asbestos and although it does concern me, it's not a constant phobia for me, like it is for you. 

I know it must be a terrible burden, being hyper-aware of all the toxicities in this world. I can totally relate to the fear of contamination that you describe. It's like, how can I possibly cope when everything is contaminated?

It's good you're seeing a psychologist. It's interesting though, as I think the main therapy for OCD phobias is ERP (Exposure Response Prevention therapy), and as no-one would want to actually expose you to asbestos in small amounts, I wonder what your therapist will do / is trying!

A handy forum tip is if you type @ then a drop-down box will appear, and you can click on a member's name to send a notification to them that you've replied to them. 

You can also type "OCD" into the search bar to look for other threads on it - there are quite a few. There is also this one which might interest you: Experiencing Trouble with Contimination OCD Looking for others .

I hope you enjoy exploring the forums.

My father recently passed away from mesothelioma (asbestos related lung cancer)... he was a carpenter and used a lot of Wonderlux  and James hardy asbestos products over 50-60 years ago

I now have a mild anxiety about it because as a child we made cubby houses out of the offcuts ..... unfortunately if I have been dealt the same fate... there really isn't a lot I can do about it now so I take each day as it comes 

Sorry to hear, @Lostandalone  😞

Sorry for your loss, and your exposure to asbestos as a child.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000