Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Dark_Olena
Senior Contributor

Negative and fearful

I can't keep doing this. It is wearing me down to nothing. All my life I have lived in 'survival mode' I just  go from A straight to Z. I do not take the small calm steps. A  being first problem/symptom/issue, to Z worse case scenario. It's making me sick and exhausts me so much. My son works in papua he is a supervisor. He was on nightshift,he is 31 and currently with a fever from hell, with body aches. He gets super annoyed with my worrying. He tells me to chill. 

All I ask of him is a thumbs up each day if he is ok on messenger. I'd like to talk to him more and we do each week, but he is sick, so I am over checking him. He was tested for covid and within 20 minutes was cleared for covid. How accurate cant that be after 20 minutes. He said it is more like that there are more false negatives than there are false positives with this type of testing. But again, its not 100% accurate, I have always leaned to the negative of thinking.

Can someone enlighten me on the false negative/false negative outcomes. I am panicking. He has not been active on social media for 17 hours. I am so worried and its hurting my body too. I hate panic anxiety. The not knowing is driving me mad. I feel nauseas.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Negative and fearful

Well it seems like its alright. Some people might even say 17 hours of socials is a good thing.

I know what you mean, though. It's hard to know when people are being too complacent about these things. Obviously there is such a thing as too complacent because we're in an international pandemic mode. "She'll be right" has its limits. Having said that, I myself can be a bit "nervous cluster" so, for want of a better conclusion, its a balance.

So, I won't say she'll be right. I will say I'm cautiously optimistic that your son just trying to heal from the fever, "chill" and preparing for future mid-pandemic night-work pressures. And, good thing he's got a mum who cares, just in case.

We all worry sometimes, it is a natural thing of the flesh to worry. So, though it can be hard to do, we are advised to realise that we are not in control, and to trust who is. Check out what God has to say about this issue of worrying about horrible things that we can not control, then believe what He says, and ask Him to help you to follow His word.

Gday @Dark_Olena, how's it going?

I understand your pissed-offednesss about cycling from A to Z in terms of moods and ability to deal with the world. I'm very familiar with that.

In terms of your worries about your son, I would recommend backing off a little. I understand completely your worry and concern about him and his situation, but maybe this is just a time to trust him and his ability to deal with sh*t.

He's obviously in a precarious situation with a lot to think about, but maybe the best thing you can do is give him the space to sort it out for himself, rather than adding to his stresses by sharing your worries.

Concern for your kids is a given. No-one would ever question you for feeling that, but sometimes you just gotta back off and trust them to manage themselves.

Hard? Sh*t yeah. Positive? Perhaps

Show your support for him, but let him live his life. That's what I reckon he would appreciate most from you.

Take it easy

Billy

Hi @Dark_Olena 

I read that you are concerned about your son and COVID-19 and that is okay. Anxiety is a natural response especially in regards to the state of the world at the moment with COVID-19. Have you tried to contact a medical professional to discuss your concerns over the testing procedures? I do believe there should be a service or help line to call regarding this important health topic, so may be look that up in the internet as a contact. Maybe ring your GP and discuss your concerns with them? 
In the meantime, maybe look at ways to ease your anxiety like some self care activities? I find reading and knitting to be helpful in times of stress.

Take care and stay safe.

Judi9877

Hi @BillyGoat, Thanks for your advice. I am a mother hen. I do know I fuss over him. He puts me in my place if I’m over doing it. He says ‘chill, mother’ I get it.

Thankyou @Judi9877 I appreciate your advice, I will do some research on easing my mind in regard to my son in Indonesia. Self care is something I will look at. I like mindfulness and breath work. Take care

Thankyou @wellwellwellnez, My son is so optimistic. I wish I had his attitude. His pcr test gave him a covid negative after 20 minutes. He is always on the bright side of everything. He also thinks he is Bullet proof. I was told today that some anxiety is good. So I need to balance as well. Have a great day and take care. Xx
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000