Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Ash3
New Contributor

Loosing hope

I have been married for 8 years. Since Last year i have seen changes in my husbands behaviour. His mental illness is taking over on him, making him very aggressive and frequent outbursts.He neglects me and my son most of the time, emotionally abuse us all the time. He has stopped caring and isolated himself into one room. He used to be very relegious person now that i have noticed he's talking absoultely weird things about our relegion. His Anxiety is increasing day by day and he couldnt even sleep through the night. He doesnt seek help nor even realise he is suffering from an illness. At times i feel like loosing my patience of taking care of most of the things. What should i do ? Where can i go to seek help for him? I want him to become the person he used to be. Im sure its a mental illness but how can we start treatment when he refuses to accept the truth and become violent on small things . please help me out

3 REPLIES 3
Jynx
Peer Support Worker

Re: Loosing hope

Hey there @Ash3  and welcome to the forums Smiley Very Happy

I just wanted to jump in to say that I'm sorry you're going through such a rough time. I wanted to provide a couple of resources as well, especially if you and your son are facing neglect and abuse. 

Firstly, 1800Respect is a resource and referral service to support those impacted by family violence. It might be good if you wanted to get a better picture of your options, including how to keep yourself and your son safe. White Ribbon also provides further information and resources, as well as a list of local and national services you can access.

Secondly, this resource on the SANE website gives information and guidance on helping a loved one who might have a mental health issue - including how to encourage him to seek help, and how to engage in your own self-care. 

You may also want to ask your husband if he would like to reach out to Mensline, a confidential counselling service for men with emotional health and relationship concerns.

If you feel as though you or your son are in danger, please call 000. You don't deserve to go through this alone. 

Hi Ash3,

I just want to check in to see whether you are okay.
An email was sent to you with some resources to help you with your situation.

https://www.1800respect

RICH1

@Ash3  Welcome to the forums.

I’m sorry things are so difficult for you, and the struggles you are having trying to get help for your husband.

I can see @Jynx @RICH1  have offered advice.

Take care of yourself. 💜💜

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000