Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Broodie
New Contributor

I am going to quit my job tomorrow

I’m having a really hard time mental health wise and physically. 

And I am pretty sure I have to quit my job. I am very behind in everything and the stress, humiliation and burnout I am feeling is making every day at this job feel like a life or death situation. 

I am having ‘I need to escape right NOW’ thoughts and feelings and I feel that even though quitting my job is drastic, it’s better than the other thoughts I am having. 

I have some annual leave that can be paid out and while I don’t have any savings whatsoever, I am hoping I can live on my pay out until I am able to find a new job. 

I live with my Mum and my brother. My brother is unemployed and we rent. My Mum also hasn’t got any savings or anything financially to survive on. 

My Mum would very likely cover my rent to help me, but I don’t want to put her in that position. And if I don’t get a new job quickly enough, I won’t be eligible for Centrelink for a very long time. 

I’m feeling so much distress every day. I have been over the workload that is set in my contract ever since I started and it just feels like even though it’s getting smaller that it’s not reducing my workload somehow and it’s not getting easier on me. Recently my manager offered some other people to take on some tasks for me. It feels too little, too late. 

I know I need to see a mental health professional about this. I’ve had a few good ones in the past but I’ve had some terrible experiences lately that make me really not want to go back to them ever. The process of getting a mental health plan, and then the exhaustion of explaining your whole history and then having to get to trust someone. These days most mental health professionals want to see you out of there as soon as possible, but that’s not my style. I don’t think that short term interventions will help me. I did a a few sessions through our employee assistance program, but this did very little to help me. I was told to buy colouring books and relax more. 

The point is, to my brain, it really feels like ‘quit your job or die’. I know that this is not true, and I have been trying to tell my brain that this is not true, but it’s not sinking in. 
The overwhelming feeling of stress, panic and shame is still there when I’m at work. I can barely concentrate on anything at work, which puts me even further behind. I feel like I have far too much expected of me in my role. 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I am going to quit my job tomorrow

That sounds incredibly tough @Broodie . 

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm sure many others can relate to what you have shared. You are certainly not alone.

It sounds like work is really impacting you. Is it the actual workplace or just working in general, that is stressful?

I read how financial stressors are huge at the moment, yet I also hear how your MH is suffering.

Would it be possible to take stress leave for some time? Or look for another job altogether?

Please know we are sitting with you.

Hi @tyme 

thanks for the reply. It’s partly the workplace and partly the work I’m doing. I did feel a lot of stress in my previous jobs as well, and I do know that there are things I definitely need to work on mental health wise to become more resilient, but recently I have found a lot of decisions made by the place I work for as well as attitudes from co-workers to be contributing a lot to this. 

I do plan on looking to another job, I am just very fearful I won’t find something quickly or that I will be in an even worse place than now. 

I really appreciate your response, thank you for listening. 

@Broodie ,

I'm wondering if working on your approach to work will be helpful? For example, working on boundaries so as when to say stop and no more. I guess assertiveness comes into this too. 

Burnout is very real.

You deserve better.

Please know we are here to support you.

Hi @Broodie 

I'm sorry to hear how bad things are feeling for you. I had to quite a job and find a new career because of my mental health worse because of my job. I just want to let you know to contact Centrelink. When I was switching jobs I got payments from Centrelink under job seeker that were covered because I had a Centrelink medical certificate from my GP stating I was not able to work due to my medical condition. Do some research you may be able to have a medical certificate which will allow you to be on Centrelink even if you have to stop working. I was also able to find a new career with the help of a disability job agency set up through Centrelink.  

Do you think you will still quit your job tomorrow @Broodie ? Or do you think you can go in for a meeting to discuss plans moving forward?

Hi @Broodie  , It seems like that job make you stress. I think You have taken a correct decision to quiet the job. because you cant do the work peacefully if you don't like it . If the work makes you stress , i think your choice was best to give up. Try to find a job that makes you happy doing that. Hopefully you will get the best job suits you and make you happy

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000