Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Fluttershy1
Senior Contributor

Feeling lost & empty

I'm really feeling lost and empty lately my mental health has been up and down like a rollercoaster, I'm finding it hard to reach out to my supports during the week as i have set times with them. My family dont understand mental health so that makes the situation worse because I just feel more empty and not understood around them. 

I just dont know what else I can do at the moment to make this feeling go away Smiley Sad

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Feeling lost & empty

hello and welcome @Fluttershy1
it sounds quite tough and I can relate to having a family who doesn't understand so you have to basically hide it when your around them.

can I ask what supports you have in place? are you finding it hard to ring and make appointments or is it that you are finding it hard to attend your appointments once you've made them?

Hi there, 

I know the feeling. Sometimes it makes it worst when you can't even explain or pin point what it is that's making you feel that way. 

I know I have been feeling very similar recently. I made an appointment today though at one of the City Cave Wellness Treatement places for this week. For a massage and a Floating Treatement. It's said to help reduce stress, anxiety and depression. I don't know if that's something that might be of interest to you? Thought it could help to share an idea for you 🙂

@outlander - I have a Psychologist, GP, Social Workers & OT. I find it hard to get in contact with them and make appointments because they are always fully booked. With my Pyschologist i'm only allowed to see her Once a month, GP i see weekly if i can get into her. I'm fine with making them, I just find it hard sometimes to attend them especially when im at my worst. 

@Tayla - Thanks for the suggestion. It's the worst thing when you can't even pin point what has triggered it to be set off. 

100%, that's how I've been feeling. And even worst when someone doesn't understand. As much as things are changing with the stigma around mental health it still isn't easy to talk about because a lot of people still don't understand or want to.

@Tayla - I made a sensory box full of things I can feel and make myself grounded and all of that for when I'm at my worst and I also have a weighted blanket that is well worth it because it works well

That's a great idea. I have heard about the weighted blankets but wasn't sure if they really did work!

@Tayla, they are worth it! 
When I'm at my worst I use it and it soothes me. 
The sensory box is helpful aswell. 

Yes, I fully appreciate how you feel.  I'd been with my husband for years.  I knew he had pretty lousy mental health, but he refused all help.  We moved to Australia from the UK in 2008, so that we could live a quieter life.  Sadly, the GFC snatched our money and his mental health really suffered.  We limped on, but he still didn't see he needed help.  In 2016 he had a complete breakdown.  He lost his job, lost us the family home, became bankrupt and needed psychiatric care and a lot of medication.  I'm here, without friends or family...   raising the kids on virtually nothing.  I'm so lonely, it's unbearable.  I have no one.  Not a soul in the world.  I dread the future.  I get no sleep.  It's appalling...   and all because I stuck by someone who I really should have left.   I need to make friends, but am too broke to go anywhere.  I'm so fearful of trusting anyone now, that that's ruining things for me in terms of finding a new partner.  I just feel drained and exhausted.  

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000