Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Hyperballad
Senior Contributor

Feeling ick after therapy

I’m just home from a therapy session that unpacked a lot of stuff I wasn’t expecting and have this odd feeling of not knowing how to put myself back together again. It’s moments like this I feel a bit alone with it all and left to the Wild West once I walk out of therapy. It feels good to explore this stuff in the moment during therapy but then Ooft. I think a night of self care is needed. So hard to function with usual life afterwards like work or life admin. Sorry to sound like I am complaining. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Feeling ick after therapy

The moments after therapy can be quite strange @Hyperballad and self-care is imperative. What do you like to do for self-care?

@Blackbird11 Usually I stay at home, cook some dinner, listen to some music, breath work, try not to worry and instead try to be present with the feels. Ooft I get emotionally needy tho but I will work through it

I will also often google ‘how long therapy last or feel better’ 😂😂

Some great strategies right there @Hyperballad I've got a song for you...

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=3NGzKEempzk&si=_8p_hCay-LKsVaIr

Present with the feels is tough to do but so worth it. It creates a safe space and awareness. 

Hey @Hyperballad ,

I can relate to the icky feeling after therapy. I reckon that shows that work is being done. 

Good on you.

Thank you for sharing. I hope it helps you feel you are less alone in your recovery.

@Blackbird11 Thanks for the song recommendation. What I needed.

and yes @tyme a good reminder that moments like this means work is being done 

During my many years of treatment, there have been so many time I've wanted to give up because it was so hard. Yet, I've had to stand back and remember that growth and change is painful. If it wasn't, then it's probably not the growth and change that I'm looking for @Hyperballad 

I remember I had to actively push myself to act and react different than what I would naturally want to do. e.g. when I'm upset, I tend to isolate myself and go to bed. Therapy meant that when I was upset, I had to face it and work with those emotions... It wasn't pleasant - trust me.

@tyme It’s good to have these reminders. I’ve found the idea of riding the wave useful - it will pass. I was really wanting a quiet weekend this weekend but have a few engagements. Now I think that might be for the best as I need distraction and to be around people. 

And I just remind myself that if it is tough it means good work was done.

I had an unfortunately not so great experience with my first therapy when I was in my 20s. A lot of tough emotional work which just seemed to escalate and three years later very destructive. That ended up having to be mediated for negligence. So I get a little wary that things will go down that path again but current therapist gives me grounding tools and has been more transparent about the process, which o found has helped.

Hi @Hyperballad It makes total sense that therapy can take everything out of you, especially when it goes in a direction that you weren't expecting. You've shone a new light on a part of yourself and there's glare from that. 

Take the time you need and let those emotions settle, you'll be better for it in the morning. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000