Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: Feeling Fragile

@Dani1981 

Hello Dani

Everything is good”, which is not an expression that I particularly like or normally use, but it says how I feel. In an association/friendship/relationship where I would like to think the middle reference applies in our case, despite the anonymity, we work through issues that arise. There is never going to be an association of any type where problems or issues will not arise or, in some way, need to be addressed, qualified and balanced. It's how we deal with those issues that make for a positive association or otherwise in any context.

In our case, you stated your concern, I responded and we've dealt with that and I hope that our friendship is that much stronger for the exercise. I just hope that I am not being too bold in calling our association a friendship. However, that is how I would like to think of it. We find many other linkages on these forums where people have very good associations at varying levels that would be viewed as mutually supportive friendships; again despite and sometimes, dare I say it, because of anonymity. Who knows how we (collective we) might react if we were ever to meet. I can only hope that the meeting and experience would be pleasant and positive.

Your first comment in your reply to me yesterday sounds like you are beating yourself up regarding being a “hypocrite”. It may be that you are sometimes over critical of yourself in friendships. You think the other person is not responding the way that you think they might. Then you somehow blame yourself for the difference. Once we start blaming or passing judgement on ourselves or others, we have taken ourselves to that judgement stage on a point of difference, without going through negotiation, arbitration, etc., as you and I have done in our recent experience. Once we are at judgement stage, whether of ourselves or others, it is difficult to go back to basics, the point where we would like to be in a friendship. I guess what I am also saying is that we need to be as forgiving towards ourselves as we might be toward others.

The issue of rejection. WOW, it is a big issue for most of us. And it is from this fear that arises our self-criticism, the idea that we may not have met the “standards expected of us” whether our own or what we believe others expect of us. And when our criticism of ourselves becomes intense, it not only becomes a matter of high concern to ourselves, but that very same self-criticism becomes a barrier between us and others. The barrier is one we have built ourselves. It is a form of Self-exclusion.

Yesterday, I was talking with someone about what they described as “an unusual fear based dream” that they had. I suggested that they

sit down in a comfortable chair, relax as completely as you can and allow yourself to consider the possibilities and implications that the dream may have for you and your relationships with other people. Remember that the dream is what your mind is offering you. Be kind to yourself and others during this reflection. Notice that I have not mentioned the perceptions of anyone else. No-one else is involved in you having a dream. The dream is your story and only yours.”

The reason I mention the dream response is because I would like you, if you would, to set aside ten minutes when you will be on your own to do exactly the same thing, with the only difference being to replace “the dream” with a “friend” in your mind. Again, sit in a comfortable chair and consider having a conversation with a friend. My guess is that during that conversation you will find yourself leaning forward to emphasise a point or ensure that your friend does not misunderstand you. At that point, I would then like you to quietly make yourself aware of your tenseness and gently ease yourself back into the comfortable chair and continue your dialogue with your friend.

I have deliberately said gently because there should be no self-censure, criticism, reprimand, or anything that might be considered corrective – just gently relax back into the chair and continue the conversation.

Remember the conversation is your conversation, and only yours, just like the dream story.

This activity may seem somewhat theatrical at first, but if you can do it a few times I think that you may become aware of the enjoyment you can have in a conversation while you are completely relaxed. Not expecting anything of yourself nor of the other person, but simply enjoying the participation and exchange of ideas in the conversation.

It is indeed, the fear of rejection and/or abandonment that causes us to over-invest in our interactions with other people. And when the response doesn't match our investment we think that we have somehow failed. This is where self-criticism and self-blame begins. This process begins a cycle that eventually wears us out. We then become emotionally exhausted from the constant heavy drain on our personal resources. This is why I am asking you to participate in the “conversation between you and a friend” on your own a few times, and then gradually bring that exercise into your real-life friendships. Remember also, to practice the same relaxed demeanour while you are standing or moving around. I do believe that you will be very pleasantly surprised at the responses that you receive. However, my caution is that you do not seek or try to initiate the responses, simply put what you have practised into play and allow whatever happens, to happen. You will also feel far less stressed at the end of an evening or any other gathering.

I believe that one possible reason that you “gravitate towards friendships with males” may be because you feel more at ease conversing with men. Okay, I acknowledge that there are differences in communications between men and women of which I still have no understanding. However, I do think that there is a slightly more competitive element among women than among men. Now that is only my belief, yet to be confirmed. However, if you do what I have suggested, I believe that people will soon be saying,

Hey, Dani (insert your name) how come you're so chill? What is it that's happening in your life that's brought this difference.”

And remember that it is you who have changed the way you interact with others.

Just don't let them get too carried away with the possible reasons. That might not be a good thing.

And it will difficult to convince them it was all in a dream.

I am pleased that, while your father was, as you say, not the most responsive to your needs as a child, growing up, that you still regard him favourably and fondly and recognise the love he had for you and that you love him also.

Thank you for your comment regarding the enjoyment of reading my messages. You see, this is a mutually rewarding relationship, and I likewise look forward to your responses.

Be assured that I am happy to continue our correspondence, Dani. I likewise enjoy the opportunity of “speaking” with you. I find your messages interesting, sometimes intriguing, challenging and I enjoy responding

Thank you

With Best Wishes

HenryX

Hi @HenryX 

How has your Thursday been?

I got home late last night from work and went to bed soon after having a shower, so I did not get a chance to reply. Today I worked in a place where I do not have access to personal emails or my phone. So I am finally sitting down and writing my response.

Thank you for clarifying yourself. I too see this as a friendship between two people who may be going through similar struggles in life. 

I will try what you advised. It will be hard I think, but when I get some alone time I will give it a go. 

I think I do converse better with males. I do love my girl friends but often I gravitate towards my male friends. Today I had lunch with my manager (also a male) as I did not want to have lunch with my female colleague. She just doesn't seem to listen to me. There is no give and take in our conversations. She simply tries to bring every interaction we have back to what's going on in her life/family. It is fine, but i just get tired of it. 

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the Easter weekend 🙂

Dani

@Dani1981 

Hi Dani,

Great to hear back from you. I am pleased that what I wrote seemed to be interesting. As I said the exercise might seem to be a bit "theatrical" and you'll probably burst out laughing halfway through, but I hope you will try it out.

Likewise, I hope you have a really great Easter & weekend

With My Very Best Wishes,

HenryX

Anything planned @HenryX ?

We are having a staycation 🙂 a date night tomorrow, but thats about it

@Dani1981 

Hi Dani,

Lunch tomorrow with friends about 120km away on the coast.

A singer whom I don't know, but recommended, will be in town on Saturday, so pleasant morning-afternoon

Catching up with a friend on Monday

The rest of the weekend will be fairly quiet.

A pleasant weekend

Forgot to put Your forum name in again

Hi @HenryX 

Hope youre enjoying your day 🙂 How's the weather? We are enjoying lovely weather over here so have been bike riding.

Dani

@Dani1981@Appleblossom @TideisTurning @Judi9877 and everyone else

Nearly 34 deg here going for 36. Have been walking lately, trying to get back into, what might be considered reasonable shape. Interestingly, since I've been out walking recently, I haven't been feeling the effect of the heat so much. Actually enjoying it.

I've been outside trying to get the car cooling system flushed but found that a bit heavy in the heat, so playing with my dog, Kirra instead. She is a lovely Kelpie/Lab. Beautiful as a dog can be.

Next, I've got to get my bicycle tyres pumped, chain oiled and do a bit of what you've been doing Dani, cycling. Gradually getting "there".

Wishing Everyone a Very Pleasant Day,

HenryX

Great to hear you are coping with the heat better. @HenryX   Measurements that are too exact about human functioning usually do not allow for a host of subjective individual factors.    I manage heat better when I am fitter, but sadly doubt I will be riding bikes much ... enjoy!

Great you are gradually getting ... there .... where the world feels like a better place.

I have known a kelpie lab cross and agree!

Smiley Happy

Whoa @HenryX It's a reasonable 30 deg here. We went out early so as to beat the heat.

I'm glad you're enjoying walking now 🙂 It is really good for you. I used to walk a bit, but then changed to my treadmill... not quite the same calming effect but I dont mind it.

It's nice having a companion 🙂 She does sound like a lovely dog... 

Enjoy the cycling! And hope you have a pleasant day too. 

@Dani1981 

Hi Dani,

It sounds as if you have been able to avoid the covid, flood, lockdown effects which is great.

I have had to postpone lunch today to Sunday because of the car. I am actually happy with that because I usually keep Friday of Easter as a fairly quiet day. But otherwise, I think the weekend will be very pleasant.

Kirra was a product of a discussion between Mum and one of the staff at residential where she stayed around the corner from me, during the last three years. Consequently, Kirra is a special reminder of Mum and I often "tell" Kirra that she is looking after me on Mum's behalf. So she is special to me in a number of ways

Likewise, I hope that you have a very pleasant time also,

Best Wishes,

HenryX

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000