Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Denv12
Senior Contributor

Laptop Dilemma.

I finally have the money to buy a computer so I can stop using my mobile phone to go online.I got offered a used Asus laptop.The screen is slightly smaller than my 18.5 inch monitor from my old computer.Despite various efforts the owner and I still cant find the model name/number.He did give me info that is the Atherosa driver model number.Its got a 298 GB hard drive with 38 GB % used.I am tempted to buy it.Its got Windows 10 home on it.Is it good value? I bought 2 Windows 10 books because I needed to replace 1 copy thats missing 20 pages and another book on it just to get a variety. I dont think I could finda decent desktop,just the case for the same price.I also need to buy one of those hard drive enclosures so I can transfer data from my now expensive paperweight unusable windows 7 desktop. Can you please tell me what I should do so I will be better off.

Thank you.

Regards @Denv12.

My old desktop got damaged by lightning strikes.Despite getting online advice to repair it I lost $100 in new parts and its really needs to be rebuilt then upgraded to windows 10.I dont think spending any more money on it is worth it.At best its a case that needs a rebuild.My data is still on the hard drive which is still in it.

An update:

Now my powered indoor tv anntena stopped working.The power cable plugs into the back.Its not getting power to work.Must be the anntena socket fauty.Just bought a new powered antena instead.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Laptop Dilemma.

Did free windows 10 upgrade expire? I put it on my 10yo laptop couple years ago because of problems with web pages. Still going fine. Asus prob not best brand esp if old which prob is if cant find model. Take your problem to computer place eg repair. I bought a cheap desktop from one years ago. Low overheads doesn't mean not experts . Good Luck try to get new
@Denv12

Hi @TAB .

Thank you for replying.

He had  the laptop upgraded to Windows 10 via a local computer repair shop.It might have had Windows 7 before that.My friend is retired.He isnt tech savy.I cant get him to find the right info for me.

I will look around computer repair shops for a desktop.Thanks again for the advice.Greatly appreciated.

Regards @Denv12.

okay thanks @Denv12 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000