Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Waking up with anxiety

Hi @1978 ,

Thank you for sharing. I'm hearing you about the anxiety.

Are you able to work with strategies before the anxiety sets in? For example, make it a regular routine to practice deep breathing as soon as you wake up so as to reduce the likelihood of anxiety setting in?

I do it before going to bed. I use the Smiling Mind App. It's got a sleeping routine program which I find so helpful when going to sleep.

There are anxiety programs on the app too and they are free of cost.

Hi @1978 - yes I have very similar feelings and it isn’t every morning. It’s sometimes a feeling of dread. I’ve been doing some meditating at night (really just extended breathing exercises) and find that can help for the morning. Otherwise I just use breathing and then hope work provides some distraction (so long as work isn’t the source of anxiety).

I also go to sleep listening to binaural beats and just leave it playing gently all night so it’s still playing in the morning. I don’t fully understand the science behind it but it seems to be helpful. 

also I try to reframe the day ahead with excitement, though this is not always easy.

Re waking up with anxiety
I get this I live with early onset dementia and I have vivid dreams example I was driving a long bus and I had passengers on board. The rear of the bus clips a car rolls over,and seperates from the rest of the bus there's passengers in this section . I jump out of the bus with all my might I flip the rear of the bus back on all tyres there is passengers with bumps bruising one of had heart attack so I perform cpr I go back to the bus ask any has a phone none had a phone no one had a phone. A neighbour saw the commotions and gave me her phone I rang police fire ambulance. I woke up for short time falling back to sleep same dream this time I'm driving a bus w passengers in a city w train stations rail bridge traffic lights in this whole time I'm thinking I'm losing my licence,
I woke up in a sweat thinking I lost my licence cause I hurt ppl I have lost my licence cause of early on set dementia but I have never in my life driven a bus and never been a driver to hurt any one just sharing my experience

@8appletree @Me73
Another technique is usefull I find at the end of each day write three positives happen your day if there is more put it down do this for a week see how you feel

Thank you for sharing @Daddymac . How are you today?

And @Hyperballad @1978 @8ppleTree - just wanted to check-in with you too to see how your week has been. If you don't get this today, I hope you have a good weekend.

Thanks for asking @tyme.

its been another tough week and back from a therapy session feeling meh after unpacking some stuff about feeling like a failure haha. Therapy makes me feel like I don’t know who I am sometimes. So I am out for dinner tonight and another weekend of self care.

hope you are well and have a lovely weekend.

For me, the fact that therapy made me feel like that meant it was doing something. I don't know if it's the same for you. @Hyperballad 

Just keep at it. Yet also know your boundaries. Is therapy 1:1 or group?

It’s ok when I feel a little more stable and secure in my life and work, but I feel a little insecure about work, like I’m not doing well or I’m not hitting the mark and that makes me feel a bit gutted. My self confidence takes a hit. 

im usually good with jumping into difficult stuff with therapy otherwise. 

I do 1:1 therapy. 

@tyme i forgot to tag you.

I think I was most challenged in group therapy because I was forced out of my comfort completely. At the same time, it make the most difference to my recovery. 

@Hyperballad .

A lot of people don't know that medicare covers 10 group sessions a year too.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000