Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Flower88
Senior Contributor

Lonely

I'm going through a really hard time where I just don't want to be around anyone, but I'm lonely. I'm trying to date but seem to be put off everyone I meet and just have no drive to be around them. How do I get out of this anti social behaviour?

10 REPLIES 10
greenpea
Senior Contributor

Re: Lonely

@Flower88  Hi Flower88 I am not really the right person to speak to as I dont want any man near me and am quite anti social and like it that way.However, haver you tried walking groups etc. groups where you can be out for a couple of hours have a gentle chit chat and then come home again in the peace and sanctity of your own space without getting over whelmed. 

I have been thinking of doing that. I see them on my walks and there appears to be the ones that chat non stop whilst others who just go along for the walk. Nice way to meet a varity of people without a heavy date on a dating service imho. There are other courses through the community services which you can do like learning a language or art etc. peaxx

Katch
New Contributor

Hi @Flower88 

Your post spoke to me! I feel the same way.  Because of my aversion to people I've isolated myself away, and now I'm feeling lonely.  Sometimes I reach out to friends to hang out but I invariably become very self conscious.  Then I worry they are judging me, thinking I'm anti-social, which I am! It's a cycle! 

I've found the best way to combat this is to reach out to a friend who is non-judgemental.  I have a mate like this and he honestly doesn't care if I sit there like a lump, or if I am in one of my up moods, or if I'm practicing being positive and don't always say the right thing. Because he can be a bit much I tend to keep these visits short, but it helps me to feel connected.  

utopia
Senior Contributor

@Flower88 . I'm currently in a similar situation. Except for the dating part. 

After about 2 years,  my depression has finally gone.  During that time though,  I isolated myself,  and only have 1 friend I see or hear from.  I'm lonely.  But struggle to join in groups or volunteer organisations. 

Today,  I just dropped off my form to join WellWays,  a group that supports those with physical and mental illness to join in and have a full life. 

Now obviously I haven't started yet,  so I can't tell you if they are good or not.  But I hope they are good. 

Could you find an organisation like this near your area?  It might just give you a head start. And help stop the loneliness. 

Just a suggestion.  I wish you well. 

Hi, I’m new here, and the only advice I can come up with is that dating may not be the answer. Finding friendships might be more helpful I have found for me anyway. 

I replied because I feel the same way. After leaving an abusive relationship, I feel incredibly isolated. I am trying hard to be well for my little one. I don’t really know what to do. We have been through a lot and leaving the house is scary, people seem scary

For me..being around people is exhausting. I easily get drained by having to pretend to be 'ok' and try to interact with people. It's a catch 22 as people drain me but I get lonely when i don't have someone (only selective people who I can trust) around me. 

I get what you mean with the catch 22. I can only do one person at a time. Bad days I can’t do people at all 

Hello and hugs @Loreli , @Flower88 , @lostbutterfly , @utopia , @Katch 

how is your day going xx

how are you getting around the forum my friends

There are days when I just can't leave my house...I attempt to get ready to go out and do something. I manage to get dressed..then I freeze and I can't open the door and leave. I've bailed on appointments, catch ups or volunteering evebts etc with people at the last minute because I just freeze and can't manage to get out the door.

Even though I know that getting out will probably help..i just cant gather the strength to make it out the door.

Hello all, 

@Flower88 

This post spoke volumes to me... It is me to a tee.... I could quite easily just curl up in bed forever and shut out the world... but on the flip side it is so lonely.. So i try to force myself to go out and about.

Once i get going, and finally get to my destination, I am fine... but getting out of bed, and getting motivated is a real struggle

I too have been guilty of cancelling appointments etc at the last minute, cos sometimes.. it is all just way too hard and I just cannot do it or face it.

Please know you are not alone.... 

Lostandalone

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000