Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Shaz51
Community Guide

Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

For me , I have had lots of pets in my life time , cats , dogs, birds, guinea pigs, fish , budgies, penny turtles , galah , etc etc

love to hear what your pet means to you xxx

hi  @Ginge  and @roses111, @ComplexityQueen , @LSR , @Libra @SpinningDaisy, @MamaBird @TazCat.@FairerDingo @Socrates8,  

@SuzieQ  @Stefee @Anne5 @Happier @FairerDingo  @AdamB @M221067 @suzyQ @Freya13 @Bwishes @frozenButterfly 

@Cakehas 2 dogs, 1 horse, 2 chooks and 1 guinea pig.

@Former-Member  wrote

1. Pets reduce stress

Many of us feel stress. Research shows that the simple act of patting a pet can ease stress and reduce your blood pressure. Even watching fish swimming in an aquarium or garden pond reduces stress. I can vouch for that.  It can also help us to relax and is a great method of practicing mindfulness.

2. Pets provide companionship

Pets can be affectionate, accepting, loyal, honest and consistent. For anyone feeling isolated and with little support, a pet can really help to reduce your feelings of loneliness.  You have a little animal who loves you for who you are and does not judge you for what you are not.

3. Pets fulfill the human need to touch

Most people feel better when they have physical contact with others. The simple act of patting a pet can lower your heart rate significantly.  Smelling your pet can also release feel-good hormones, which benefit your feelings of happiness and wellbeing.

4. Pets require routine and organisation

Proper care of all pets requires a routine of feeding, cleaning and exercise. This provides pet owners with a purpose and motivation. This aids our self esteem, wellbeing and overall mental health.

5. Pets provide a sense of purpose

A pet can provide us with a sense of purpose.  This in turn, helps improve our mental health, such as depression and anxiety. If you have a pet, you are never alone and you remain responsible for looking after them. They need us equally as much as we need them.

6. Pets increase your social interaction

Pets create numerous opportunities for social interaction.  Going to pet-friendly events, beaches or parks helps to increase your social network. You can make new friends while taking your dog for a walk or waiting at the vet.  Casual conversations with strangers or acquaintances can easily be struck up with other pet loving owners.   People with pets are much more approachable, than those without.

7. Pets improve your fitness

If you own a dog, they need regular walks, and this regular exercise is good for you too. We all know that exercise has many benefits for our mental health and wellbeing. You can also use the time walking your dog to improve your fitness and make the most of the outdoors to help you further develop mindfulness and relaxation.

Sherry 🐶🐱🐰🐹🐟🐔🦜🐍

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Pets as therapy and for our wellbeing

@Determined, @Former-Member , @outlander , @Smc , @Ali11 , @Former-Member , @greenpea 

dog walker-01.jpeg

Good One @ @Shaz51  @Former-Member  and all animal lovers

@Shaz51 @Former-Member  we love our pet. He runs the house. He is thoroughly spoilt. Only the best organic food for our rabbit!!!!

love your rabbit @greenpea  Heart

@Shaz51 :Dxxx

We've always had pets - dogs, birds, mice, guinea pigs, chickens but now it's just 2 dogs who I couldn't do without.  One of them was born for therapy and without a day's training he has a natural instinct for knowing what needs to be done and who needs it.  I even take him in to work where he's equally loved by the patients.  There is nothing better than watching him lead me to someone and park himself between their knees or climb on the chair and put his head on their lap.  

@Bear25  Here is another thread, I would welcome your input on.

Sherry

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000