Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: People with IBS

Yeah i know @Former-Member
And today again i dont know what it is
But i feel extremely sick and i need to throw up but nothing ever comes up and it just bubbles away
It restricts me from doing anything as i wonder if and when I need to run to the bathroom
My tummy is so sick and sore amd nothing seems to relieve it

Hi @outlander, my wife has IBS and is seeing a Psychologist/Hypnotherapist for it under a mental health plan.  She was told IBS can be linked to mental health issues, they recommend for example mindfulness based cognitive behavioural therapy as this has been demonstrated to improve symptoms & quality of life in people suffering IBS and IBD. 

Monash Uni has also developed a diet guide called the Low FODMAP diet.  Their advice can help stem the flow, so to speak.

I hope you can get a handle on your gut issues soon.

thank you @Keppet

ill take all that on board during my treatment

Pain and discomfort, mostly. Gas in the morning is so painful sometimes and uncomfortable the rest of the time. I wouldn't say I have constipation or diarrhoea often, but I have three small daily motions which make me feel relieved bit by bit. I can't always go even when I feel like it, and I can't strain because I have hAeMmOrHoIdS, how good is that?

But it started this horrible feeling and depressive behaviours like, staying in bed just trying to sleep through the pain and discomfort. Years ago it started. 

Strangely, antidepressants actually helped with the abdominal pain and discomfort, at least to begin with. But I didn't continue with my anti depressants because sometimes I feel hypomanic and I've never really fit criteria for MDD, more a bit of depression and periodically bad anxiety. 
Honestly what I think started all of this was this diet challenge that involved eating food that was less than $2 per day, I did it for a whole month and my digestion and defecation has never been the same since. When I went back on my regular diet, it was very painful. Since then I've had ultrasound, colonoscopy, CT, numerous blood tests, breath tests... considering how chronic the problem is without any severe symptoms leads me to think IBS is the correct diagnosis. It's not the worst thing in the world to have but management is key. That's why I'm here because I've realised I haven't been managing it at all, I basically just wish I didn't have it and resent that I do. I must get out of bed early the way I used to, that way I won't wallow in my pain and make it worse.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

For 24-hour telephone crisis support, call Lifeline on 13 11 14

If life is in danger, call 000